The group behind recent attacks in Paris and Brussels also wanted to attack the European Championship in France this summer, a suspect has told interrogators, according to multiple reports.
Mohamed Abrini was detained after being identified by Belgian police in the March 22 attacks on the Brussels Airport and subway station, in which 32 people died. He has also been linked to the Paris attacks last November. ISIS have claimed responsibility for both incidents.
French outlet Libération initially reported that Abrini's ISIS cell was also targeting the Euros, which are set to run throughout France from June 10 to July 10, and the information was later confirmed by CNN.
"According to our information, Mohamed Abrini has explained the initial intention of this nebulous terrorist Franco-Belgian terrorist group was to go into action during the Euro football tournament," Libération reported on Monday.
Police told Libération that they were not surprised to learn of the cell's intention.
"It's hardly a scoop to learn that the terrorists were hoping to attack during the Euro. The security forces are always examining possible attack scenarios to know how to respond," one officer said.
France Prime Minister Manuel Valls said after the Brussels attacks that the tournament would go forward.
"The terrorists wanted to suppress life. The Euros should be held, and will be held," he said.
In November, there were explosions outside the gates of the Stade de France after attackers failed to gain entrance to the game between France and Germany.
With security concentrated around stadiums, there is particular concern about the potential vulnerability of fan zones, where spectators gather to watch games on large screens.
Philippe Goujon of the the centre-right Les Republicains party said last month that 90,000 fans were being called "to gather every day for a month at the foot of the Eiffel Tower. What temptation for terrorists of all kinds."