Brazil coach Dunga is not backing down in the continuing row over Real Madrid left-back Marcelo's commitment to the national team.
Marcelo was not included in the Selecao squad for March's World Cup 2018 qualifiers against Paraguay and Uruguay, while being able to play for his club at the time, sparking a public argument between leading figures in both Brazil and Madrid.
The debate has become increasingly embittered, with Blancos coach Zinedine Zidane talking of "lies" coming from the Brazil camp, and a national team doctor responding that the blame for what happened lay squarely with the player himself for not communicating that he was available for selection.
During an interview with UOL, the former Brazil midfielder suggested that Marcelo's attitude and commitment had been found lacking.
"We did not speak [before the squad was named]," Dunga said. "We have [each others'] numbers. He did not tell the doctors anything about feeling good and the doctors said nothing to me. It is about being responsible. Every Monday, Thursday or Friday I am told if any player who is going to be called up has any physical issue.
"I used the information I had. Players like [Roberto] Firmino and Ricardo Oliveira were in touch with the doctor. That is important. A player who wants to be with the Brazil team must show the right attitude, responsibility and commitment. You must want to play for your national team."
After drawing 2-2 in both the recent games against Paraguay and Uruguay, Brazil are sixth in the South American qualifying table after six games and now outside of the automatic qualification spots for Russia 2018.
Such a disappointing situation, along with the continuing controversy over Marcelo's exclusion and other controversial selection issues, have reportedly led the Brazilian national federation [CBF] to consider sacking Dunga as national team coach.