French Football Federation president Noel Le Graet says the decision to go ahead with Tuesday's friendly against England was made by him alone because it is the right response to last week's terror attacks in Paris.
Two members of the France squad revealed that family members were caught up in the tragedy. Midfielder Lassana Diarra's cousin, Asta Diakite, died in the shooting that took place in the 10th arrondissement, while Antoine Griezmann's sister survived the raid at the Bataclan concert venue, where 89 people were killed during the ensuing siege.
Despite this, Le Graet told Le Parisien that the players had "nothing to do" with the decision for France to fulfil Tuesday's fixture at Wembley, and that it was he alone who gave the go ahead.
"The players had nothing to do with the fact that this game will take place," Le Graet said. "It is me alone who made the call. Then I informed [coach Didier] Deschamps around midday [on Saturday]."
England's Football Association left the decision over whether the game should go ahead entirely in the hands of the FFF.
"The match will be a serious occasion,'' England coach Roy Hodgson said, "but one that shows that the football world is united against those atrocities.''
France coach Didier Deschamps offered players the chance to withdraw from the game, but none have.
In an interview with L'Equipe on Monday, Le Graet said that calling the game off would have sent out a bad signal.
"I never had any doubts regarding the staging of the match," he said. "It never crossed my mind - not even for a second. "From the end of the encounter [against Germany], for me, we had to play.
"I simply verified that it was possible with the minister [for sport] and the English the following morning. It wouldn't have been good at all not to play it.
"If this match was to take place at the Stade de France, the question would obviously have been asked and we wouldn't have played.
"But now you have to show that life goes on, that the jersey represents something, that France is still standing and that its sports people represent it with pride."
The French squad trained indoors at their headquarters in Clairefontaine outside Paris on Sunday and were due to travel to London with a full squad on Monday morning.
Le Graet confirmed that Marseille midfielder Diarra, 30, was given the option to stay in France with his family.
"The fact he stayed with us shows that he wants to react positively," Le Graet said.
Ex-France boss Raymond Domenech told L'Equipe that Le Graet had made the right decision.
"It isn't football in particular that was attacked at the Stade de France," Domenech said. "It's sport and, beyond that, a gathering of people from all origins and all religions... it's precisely because they want to sow fear that you can't stop playing.
"I understand that the players might not want to but if we don't play what do we do? And when do we play again?
"It's more than a tribute - it's a way of showing that we're fighting."
Lille goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama, whose native Nigeria has been terrorised by Boko Haram, also said it was fitting to play on Tuesday.
"It's very important and it's a response to those who are attacking us - a way of saying that life goes on," he told L'Equipe.
"Look at Nigeria, at Egypt... people needed moments of pleasure and football played a part."
Meanwhile, Belgium manager Marc Wilmots said he believed that French authorities would be able to ensure the safety of players and fans at Euro 2016 next summer.
"I think you shouldn't be afraid," Wilmots is quoted as saying by La Deniere Heure. "You need to continue to live and to play matches. And we should play the Euros in France. "We can't fall into a panic. Otherwise, you'd have to stop everything.
"It's necessary to work and to fight so that this never happens again. Obviously security will have to be guaranteed but France has been forewarned.
"Everything will be put in place so that the European Championships will take place normally."