Werder Bremen have said that United States forward Aron Johannsson will remain sidelined for the rest of the season with injury problems that have kept him out since late September.
Johannsson joined Bremen from AZ Alkmaar last summer, but following only six appearances for the Bundesliga club was ruled out with hip and groin problems.
The 25-year-old needed to undergo surgery in late October 2015, and initially was expected back on the pitch in January 2016 after resuming individual training just over a month after his operation.
"We have written Aron off for this season," Werder Bremen CEO Thomas Eichin told Bild on Thursday. "We no longer plan with him this season.
"It's a difficult situation for him," Eichin said, and added that the injury "can't be treated that easily and a prognosis is difficult."
However, Bremen have not given up hope on Johannsson, who scored two goals in his new club before his layoff.
"Aron still has a lot of time," Eichin added. "He's under contract until 2019."
Johansson who has won 19 caps for his country, merely said that it was "still the same crap" in reference to the injury.
Werder Bremen are one of 10 clubs still in the battle to avoid relegation, from the Bundesliga. They have so far picked up 28 points, just one more than Eintracht Frankfurt, who are in the drop zone.
When the Bundesliga resumes after the international break, the former champions travel to Borussia Dortmund. They play four of their last seven matches at home.