Paris Saint-Germain beat Fiorentina, Man United cruise past San Jose

Ligue 1 title winners Paris Saint-Germain beat Fiorentina 4-2 in the teams' International Champions Cup match at Red Bull Arena in Harrison, New Jersey.

The scoring started for PSG in the 35th minute after Gregory van der Wiel crossed a ball in from Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Blaise Matuidi swept home.

Six minutes later, the Parisiens doubled their lead when youngster Jean-Kevin Augustin knocked in a pass from Matuidi from the centre of the penalty area to double their lead to 2-0 at the break.

Fiorentina substitute Joaquin got the Serie A club on the scoreboard with a goal from a direct kick in the 60th minute, but Ibrahimovic quickly restored the two-goal lead with a smooth side-footed volley from a Lucas Moura cross.

Fiorentina almost took the lead in the 11th minute after a Matias Vecino beat PSG goalkeeper Kevin Trapp with a direct free kick, but the effort clanked off the post.

Augustin added his second and PSG's fourth in the 75th minute and Giuseppe Rossi, who was born in New Jersey but is an Italian international player, scored on a penalty in the 79th for the 4-2 final.

In San Jose, Juan Mata and Memphis Depay scored five minutes apart in the first half for Manchester United in front of a big Bay Area crowd as the Red Devils beat the San Jose Earthquakes 3-1.

Andreas Pereira added another goal on a header off Jesse Lingard's cross in the 61st minute for Manchester United. Coach Louis van Gaal went with his second 10 players in the field after halftime before a packed stadium.

Mata scored in the 32nd minute when he dribbled just inside the 18-yard box, hit the right crossbar and the ball bounced into the net after barely missing the outstretched foot of Depay.

Depay got his turn soon after when he connected in the 37th minute.

In Pasadena, Luis Suarez scored in the 45th minute as Barcelona opened its U.S. preseason tour with a 2-1 victory over the LA Galaxy before 93,226 fans at the Rose Bowl.

Sergi Roberto also scored in the 56th minute as the UEFA Champions League winners largely controlled their first match of the new season, delighting the biggest crowd for a club soccer game involving an MLS team in U.S. history.

Tommy Meyer scored late in second-half injury time for the defending MLS champion Galaxy, denying Barcelona of a clean sheet.

The record crowd largely supported Barcelona despite the absence of Lionel Messi and Neymar, who stayed home from the International Champions Cup tour to stay fresh for the new season.

Anthony Manning's header off a free kick from Michael Nanchoff ended up being Portland Timbers 2's winning goal as they held on to defeat Premier League side Newcastle United 4-3.

Rolando Aarons scored two goals in the span of about a minute late in the second half, but Newcastle could not catch up after falling behind 4-1.

The Timbers 2, who are in the midst of their United Soccer League season, are the reserve squad of Major League Soccer's Portland Timbers.

Dele Alli marked his first Tottenham runout with a goal as Brentford were overcome 2-1 in a behind-closed-doors friendly on Wednesday.

Signed from MK Dons in February, the 19-year-old spent the remainder of last season on loan at his home-town club, helping them secure automatic promotion from League One.

And Alli got off the mark in his first appearance for his new club, converting the second spot-kick of the match in stoppage-time after Shaq Coulthirst scored the first before Jermaine Udumaga pulled one back for the Bees at the death.

Toby Alderweireld also played his first match for Spurs since joining from Atletico Madrid, starting the match alongside fellow new boys Kevin Wimmer and Kieran Trippier.

In Gdansk, Andre Breitenreiter's Schalke 04 beat local side Lechia Gdansk 1-0 thanks to a 44th minute goal from Leroy Sane.

The 19-year-old, son of former Senegalese international Souleyman Sane, expertly cut in from the right flank and finished coolly past Lechia keeper Lukasz Budzilek from 15 yards in front of 7,700 fans at the PGE Arena.

AS Monaco bounced back from conceding an early goal to comfortably beat Bundesliga side Mainz 5-1.

Jairo put the Germans 1-0 up after 12 minutes, but a brace from Anthony Martial, followed by goals from Ivan Cavaleiro, Lavyin Kurzawa and Guido Marcelo Carrillo ensure that the principality team walked away with the victory.

Ajax's final hitout before a crucial Champions League qualifying match against Rapid Vienna ended in a 1-0 defeat to Saint-Etienne.

Striker Arkadiusz Milik had perhaps the best two chances to put the Dutch side ahead, but could not find a way past ASSE keeper Stephane Ruffier.

Jonathan Bamba then compounded Frank de Boer's frustration by scoring the match winner from distance with just four minutes left on the clock.

In Wales, Stoke City continued their preparations for the new Premier League season with a 6-0 drubbing of fifth-tier side Wrexham.

Jonathan Walters bagged a brace while Mame Diouf and Dominic Telford also got on the score-sheet, but it was goals from new signings Marco van Ginkel and Joselu that pleased Potters fans the most.

Van Ginkel's goal, which came four minutes before the interval, was perhaps the pick of the bunch. The on-loan Chelsea man capitalised on a loose ball on the halfway line before dribbling past several Wrexham players and to coolly slot home.

Jermain Defoe made a triumphant return to BMO Field in Toronto in Sunderland's 2-1 win over Toronto FC on Wednesday.

Defoe, who was playing for the first time in Canada since his somewhat acrimonious departure in January, was greeted by a mixed chorus of boos and cheers upon taking the field.

That, however, did not put the 32-year-old England international off as he chipped in with two goals just after the hour mark -- cancelling out Jonathan Osorio's opener and handing the Black Cats the victory.

Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.