2016 U.S. Open Cup, Semi-finals
  • Mike Magee (101' PEN)
  • Matt Hedges (116')
  • Victor Ulloa (120'+1')

FC Dallas scores two late goals to beat LA Galaxy in U.S. Open Cup

Matt Hedges and Victor Ulloa both headed home goals from corner kicks in the closing minutes of extra time as FC Dallas rallied to beat the LA Galaxy 2-1 and book a spot in the U.S. Open Cup final with the New England Revolution.

Mike Magee converted a penalty kick in the 101st minute to give the Galaxy the lead. Substitute Gyasi Zardes played Giovani Dos Santos into the area in the first period of extra time and the Mexican international was brought down by Dallas goalkeeper Chris Seitz for a penalty.

Magee stepped up and sent Seitz the wrong way to break the 100-plus minute deadlock and put the Galaxy up 1-0.

But Dallas wouldn't go away and found their equalizer from a corner kick in the 117th minute when Hedges nodded home a Mauro Diaz corner kick.

With the game seemingly heading to penalties, Dallas got one last chance. Again from a corner kick, it was Ulloa who was the hero this time, heading home another Diaz cross to make it 2-1 just ahead of full-time.

The entertaining match was back and forth from the off with both teams threatened in the opening 20 minutes.

The Galaxy had the best chance to open the scoring early when Alan Gordon got in on goal only to see his close-range effort knocked away by Dallas defender Atiba Harris in the 17th minute.

LA would threaten again just minutes later, as Emmanuel Boateng picked out Gordon again, but another close-range blast was blocked away by Dallas goalkeeper Seitz.

Dallas had their best chance of the first half at the 30-minute mark. Diaz played a nice ball in to Michael Barrios, but Galaxy goalkeeper Brian Rowe somehow managed to deflect a low line drive away from the goal.

Walker Zimmerman nearly broke the deadlock in the 59th minute, heading a corner kick just inches wide of Rowe's goal as Dallas continued to push for a first goal.

Kellyn Acosta found Max Urruti with a cross to the near post in the 69th minute, but his attempt to slot home went begging and the ball skipped harmlessly through the penalty area.

The game began to open up after that, and minutes later Boateng got free for a one-on-one counter-attack, but could only manage a long-range shot, which was blocked to safety by Seitz.

Urruti had another chance in the 80th minute, but his headed attempt from an inswinging Diaz free kick went over the goal.

The final chance of regular time went to Baggio Husidic, but his shot from distance after a layoff from Jeff Larentowicz went sailing over the goal and the match went to extra time tied 0-0.

Dallas had dominated the opening minutes of extra time, forcing Rowe into several saves, but it was the play of substitutes Dos Santos and Zardes that helped LA tale the lead before the heroics of Ulloa and Hedges helped Dallas prevail.

Now FC Dallas will host the New England Revolution in the final, with the date yet to be determined.