2017-18 English League Championship, Regular Season
  • Kieffer Moore (7')
  • Brad Potts (78')
  • Famara Diedhiou (31')
  • Josh Brownhill (90'+1')

Josh Brownhill returns to Barnsley to rescue a point for Bristol City

Bristol City scored a late equaliser against Barnsley as the sides fought out a 2-2 draw.
Kieffer Moore broke the deadlock early on from a corner, before Famara Diedhiou got one back for the visitors.
Brad Potts then grabbed what looked to be a winner for Barnsley but Josh Brownhill scored in added time and equalise on his return to Oakwell.
A point suits neither side, with Bristol City falling off the pace and out of the play-off places in recent weeks.
It may be more valuable for the Tykes, as it moves them one clear of the relegation zone but they remain winless at home in 2018.
Barnsley started the game brightly, with City defender and last man back Nathan Baker fortunate to only receive a yellow card when he brought down Moore just outside the area.
From the resulting corner the Tykes got their reward. George Moncur, one of four changes to the starting line-up, delivered the dead ball towards the front post and Moore beat all competition to head in the opening goal in the seventh minute.
City soon found their way though and it was only some great defensive work from Adam Jackson and Andy Yiadom which prevented Bobby Reid from having two opportunities to test Barnsley goalkeeper Adam Davies.
Davies was left helpless moments later though as City struck back on the half-hour mark. Marlon Pack sent a diagonal pass to Diedhiou on the edge of the Barnsley box and the Senegalese frontman curled the ball beautifully into the top right corner.
With the scores level, in-form loanee Oliver McBurnie should have sent his side ahead just before the break after Moore headed down Yiadom's long ball into the box, but the Scottish striker could only direct his header straight at Frank Fielding.
Fielding saved his team shortly after the break, somehow managing to get across his net and stop Potts poking home at the back post from Moncur's teasing delivery.
Moore had two more bites of the cherry but was denied by Fielding twice. The striker got in behind the defence from Gary Gardner's inch-perfect ball but Fielding did well to keep him out, then got down to prevent the 25 year-old from heading in from the resulting corner.
Moore was then involved again as Barnsley took the lead. The Tykes striker ran on to substitute Joe Williams' lofted ball and Moore waited perfectly before rolling a cross into the box and it was Potts who sprinted in front of his man to prod home with just twelve minutes remaining.
Former Barnsley loanee Brownhill then delivered his old team a huge blow, sending a looping header over Davies from Joe Bryan's cross to level the game in injury time.

English League Championship Standings

1 West Bromwich Albion 28 +19 53
2 Leeds United 28 +19 52
3 Fulham 29 +12 49
4 Nottingham Forest 28 +11 48
5 Brentford 28 +23 47
6 Preston North End 29 +8 46
7 Swansea City 29 +1 45
8 Millwall 28 +4 44
9 Bristol City 28 +2 44
10 Sheffield Wednesday 28 +8 42
11 Blackburn Rovers 28 +5 40
12 Hull City 28 +4 39
13 Cardiff City 28 -2 39
14 Queens Park Rangers 28 -5 38
15 Reading 28 +3 37
16 Derby County 28 -7 37
17 Middlesbrough 29 -7 35
18 Birmingham City 29 -11 34
19 Stoke City 29 -6 31
20 Charlton Athletic 29 -4 30
21 Huddersfield Town 28 -13 29
22 Barnsley 29 -19 24
23 Wigan Athletic 28 -18 23
24 Luton Town 28 -27 21