2018 Major League Soccer, Regular Season
  • Sebastian Giovinco (36')
  • Lucas Janson (53')
  • Víctor Vázquez (58' PEN)
  • Marco Delgado (81')
  • Cristian Penilla (10')

Toronto FC scores four unanswered goals to rally past Revolution

Toronto FC kept their faint playoff hopes alive after a 4-1 win over the visiting New England Revolution on Saturday at BMO Field.

After the Revolution jumped out to an early lead on a 10th-minute goal from Cristian Penilla, Toronto (9-15-6, 33 points) scored four unanswered goals to win for the first time this season after allowing the opening score of a game.

A four-goal performance seemed unlikely after a quiet opening 35 minutes for the Toronto attack, though Sebastian Giovinco sparked his team with a tremendous strike from the edge of the box in the 36th minute to equalize the score.

After an apparent Jonathan Osorio goal in the 48th minute was reversed on video review, Toronto officially took the lead five minutes later, when Lucas Janson converted his own rebound after his initial shot was blocked.

A penalty-kick goal from Victor Vazquez in the 58th minute and a Marco Delgado header in the 81st padded Toronto's lead. The home team came close to scoring several more times during a thoroughly one-sided second half.

The loss snapped New England's four-game unbeaten streak in decisive fashion, with the Revs allowing four goals for just the second time all season. The Revolution managed little on offense apart from Penilla's goal, generating just two shots on net in the match.

The Revolution (8-11-11, 35 points) didn't gain any ground in the Eastern Conference playoff race, remaining five points behind sixth-place Montreal. Toronto is still on the outskirts of the postseason picture and will likely need to win its four remaining games to have a realistic chance.

Toronto forward Jozy Altidore came up limping after taking a challenge in the 16th minute and was substituted out of the game for Janson two minutes later. It seemed as though Altidore suffered a recurrence of the ankle injury that also sidelined him during the second half of Toronto's match last Saturday.