2018 International Champions Cup
  • Leroy Sané (57')
  • Mohamed Salah (63')
  • Sadio Mané (90'+4' PEN)

Sadio Mane's stoppage-time penalty seals Liverpool ICC win over Man City

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Mohamed Salah took less than a minute to score his first goal as Liverpool beat Manchester City 2-1 in the International Champions Cup at MetLife Stadium on Wednesday.

Saido Mane scored the injury-time winner from the penalty spot after a clumsy challenge from Tosin Adarabioyo into the back of Dominic Solanke.

Salah, Mane and Georginio Wijnaldum only joined up with Jurgen Klopp's side in New York and the Egyptian forward, a 62nd-minute substitute, again stood out, picking up where he left off last season when he headed Rafael Camacho's cross past Joe Hart.

The 2018 Player of the Year could have had even more, but a back-post header was cleared off the line and another shot clipped off the top of the crossbar.

Liverpool were trailing when he was introduced after German international Leroy Sane, also behind some players in his preseason schedule, raced cleared of the Liverpool defence and confidently fired a shot under Caoimhin Kelleher for a 57th-minute opener.

Pep Guardiola's side had started the game the stronger despite still missing 15 of the 16 players involved in the World Cup, and they took every opportunity to test Liverpool keeper Lorus Karius, who still looked short of confidence after his costly Champions League errors.

City's club-record signing Riyad Mahrez created the first chance for Lukas Nmecha and his shot was unconvincingly parried straight back to him by Karius, only for Fabinho to scramble in a challenge as the 19-year-old striker looked to tap it into an empty net.

The German keeper then made two ineffectual punches with one dropping straight to the feet of Brahim Diaz, but he scuffed his shot straight back to him.

It wasn't until the 18th minute that Jurgen Klopp's side created an opportunity when Curtis Jones shot tamely at Claudio Bravo. The 17-year-old was Liverpool's biggest threat of the first half and went close with a header over the bar and could have had a penalty just before half-time when he appeared to be clipped by Cameron Humphreys.

Mane came on at half-time and almost opened the scoring within three minutes, when he scrambled a shot past Hart only for Eric Garcia clear his effort off the line. Solanke did have the ball in the back of the net moments later, but it was ruled out for offside.

Sane, another half-time change, finally found the breakthrough but City's lead lasted just six minutes before Salah's leveller. Mane wasted two golden chances in the final five minutes to wrap up the victory before sending Hart the wrong way from the spot.