2018/19 Australian A League, Regular Season
  • Tobias Mikkelsen (90'+2')
  • Adam Taggart (90'+6')
  • Roly Bonevacia (18')
  • Kwame Yeboah (42')

Goalkeeping blunder sees Western Sydney lose two-goal lead at Brisbane

Brisbane salvaged a 2-2 draw after a last-minute blunder from Western Sydney goalkeeper Vedran Janjetovic led to Adam Taggart's equaliser.

The Wanderers had cruised to injury time with a 2-0 lead, only for the Roar to steal a point when Tobias Mikkelsen latched onto a Taggart backheel for his first A-League goal before Taggart headed home the equaliser with the last play of the game.

He should never have had the chance to do so with Janjetovic -- who had only been recalled to the starting XI on Friday -- inexplicably putting his foot to the ball before it went over the line, while under no pressure, to gift the Roar a corner. Taggart rose high and drilled it home to lift the Roar after they had been exposed by the visitors with two first-half goals.

"He did a fantastic game. He was there, present, helping the team and I don't know what's happened in the head, can't tell you, sorry," coach Markus Babbel said. "It's very hard to accept, very frustrating because it's [a late collapse] not the first time it's happened this season ... I feel very sorry for them."

The Wanderers' 18th-minute opener came in controversial fashion with Roly Bonevacia slotting home after a long ball found him all too easily in space. Roar interim coach Darren Davies, and the smattering of fans in attendance, howled their protests when replays showed just how tight the offside call had been. But the goal was adjudged to be fair by the video assistant, with Davies confirming post-game it had been referred despite it not appearing to be at the time.

Former Roar attacker Kwame Yeboah then added a second when he turned and finished with precision to extend the lead in the 42nd minute. Yeboah, who limped off in the 54th minute, had earlier added injury to insult with an unintentional collision sending Connor O'Toole's face into the upright. O'Toole hit the turf but passed a concussion test to resume his position in the Roar defence as they slowly made their presence felt.

"The second half I think we were the better team; we were gaining momentum the longer and longer the game was going on," Davies said. "We were disappointed to be 2-0 down at half-time, but [I think we were] good value for the point."

The draw leaves the Mariners and Roar separated by one point in seventh and eighth position, with two and one wins to their names respectively.

Australian A-League Standings