2018/19 Australian A League, Regular Season
  • Craig Goodwin (63')
  • Ronald Vargas (52')

Craig Goodwin earns draw for Adelaide United against Newcastle Jets

Adelaide United and Newcastle shared the points in a tense 1-1 A-League draw at Coopers Stadium.

The contest on Friday night was a largely scrappy affair which never reached any great heights until the closing moments when Adelaide's claims for a penalty were dismissed.

Both sides traded timid shots in a dour opening half-hour with Ronald Vargas fashioning the first chance of the match, blasting a powerful effort over the bar on five minutes.

The Jets had the next clear chance when Jason Hoffman rose highest to connect with a Dimitri Petratos corner, forcing Reds 'keeper Paul Izzo into a save.

A minute later, United's Ken Ilso called Newcastle shot stopper Glen Moss into action after a driving 30-metre run.

With the half drawing to a close, the home side gained the ascendancy and finished with a handful of chances.

On 39 minutes, Isaias' dangerous chip was chased down by Craig Goodwin and eventually scrambled to safety by Moss as Ilso lurked, ready to pounce on the loose ball.

Goodwin had the best chance of the half on 41 minutes when his free kick from out wide rattled the crossbar.

The winger was on target again soon, racing on to a long throw from Scott Galloway and firing low and hard from a tight angle with Moss pushing the shot past the post.

United were made to rue those missed opportunities just seven minutes into the second half with Vargas breaking the deadlock.

Adelaide wasted the opportunity to clear their lines and Newcastle took full advantage with Hoffman set free on the wing to supply a perfect cut back for Vargas who made no mistake from inside the six-yard box.

The Jets' lead lasted just 10 minutes with Goodwin eventually getting his name on the scoresheet.

Michael Marrone provided the assist, launching a pinpoint 40-metre diagonal ball which Goodwin powered past Moss with a bullet header.

Newcastle almost restored their lead minutes later but Hoffman's header from close range was brilliantly kept out but Izzo.

The match reached a flashpoint on the stroke of full-time when the Reds' claims for a legitimate penalty waved away by referee Shaun Evans.

Marrone again delivered the cross from the right and Moss clattered into George Blackwood leaving the young striker prone on the turf.

Tensions flared when Evans awarded the free kick in Newcastle's favour and both sides came together in the Jets' penalty area.

The incident sapped the energy out of the remaining minutes before proceedings were eventually called to a halt.

Australian A-League Standings