2018-19 English FA Cup, 4th Round
  • Connor Wickham (9')
  • Andros Townsend (34' PEN)

Crystal Palace deepen Tottenham Hotspur's woes with FA Cup win

Connor Wickham scored his first goal in 26 injury-hit months and Andros Townsend added another from the penalty spot as Crystal Palace knocked Spurs out of the FA Cup with a 2-0 win at Selhurst Park.

The result rounded off a bad week for Mauricio Pochettino's side after their Carabao Cup semifinal exit to Chelsea, and they missed a golden chance to get back into the match when Kieran Trippier blazed wide from the spot.

After a slow opening spell on a windy south London afternoon, Palace took the lead after nine minutes.

Joel Ward found Jeffrey Schlupp, who got away from Davinson Sanchez and, when Paulo Gazzaniga saved, the ball bounced for the returning Wickham to touch it home.

A VAR check for offside confirmed the goal was good and Palace soon threatened again when Wilfried Zaha found space but saw his driven cross cleared.

With 18 minutes gone, Spurs were close to a leveller when Lucas Moura lashed a fierce shot just over from an angle outside the area. But back came Palace, defender Patrick van Aanholt roaming forward to thump a long-range shot that was well handled by Gazzaniga.

The home side missed a chance to punish Spurs when, on a four against three break, Townsend overran the ball and allowed Oliver Skipp to intercept.

Kyle Walker-Peters, pushing forward down the left, delivered two crosses in quick succession but neither posed a serious threat to Palace.

But with 34 minutes gone, Walker-Peters' blatant handball as a Zaha cross headed for Wickham gave Palace the chance to double their advantage and Townsend smashed the penalty past Gazzaniga.

The Spurs keeper made a crucial save minutes later when Van Aanholt's low cross found Townsend free and Palace looked set to all but seal the win.

The Eagles almost conceded moments later when Lucas won a dangerous free kick and Trippier rolled the ball cleverly to Georges-Kevin N'Koudou, who was denied by Speroni's double save.

Two minutes from the break Spurs had a lifeline when Juan Foyth was fouled by Van Aanholt after Fernando Llorente's flick had found him -- but Trippier blasted horribly wide.

Mauricio Pochettino made a change at the break, Erik Lamela coming on for Jan Vertonghen, and was rewarded by a bright start as Ward's superb defensive header denied Lucas an early opportunity.

Speroni tipped Llorente's deflected effort around the post as Spurs stepped up their search for a route back into the game, before Sanchez was booked for fouling Townsend as Palace tried to break.

The home side were being forced back and Lamela blasted a free kick into the wall after Lucas was fouled before Foyth was booked for a clumsy challenge but Van Aanholt wasted the free kick.

Llorente was again denied by Speronio before Pochettino made his second switch soon after the hour, Victor Wanyama on for Eric Dier and Trippier taking the captain's armband.

Ward blocked Lamela's volley inside the area and then Trippier's bouncing volley across the box eluded Llorente as a breakthrough evaded Spurs.

Wickham made way for Christian Benteke as Roy Hodgson made his first change and the home side produced their best spell of the half, Zaha heavily involved but a telling final pass lacking.

Palace replaced Max Meyer with Luka Milivojevic and Kazaiah Sterling came on for Lucas for Spurs, and the Eagles almost put gloss on the scoreline as Zaha's low drive was held by Gazzaniga.

The home side brought off second goal-scorer Townsend, Jordan Ayew on in his place, as they ran down the clock to secure their place in the fifth round.