Departing Atletico Madrid forward Fernando Torres' next career move is likely to take him to the United States or China, according to the former Spain international's agents.
On Monday, the 34-year-old Torres announced his second spell at his boyhood club Atletico would end this summer, saying that he had reluctantly accepted that to play regularly in future he will have to move elsewhere.
There was immediate speculation linking the former Liverpool, Chelsea and Milan player to many different clubs around the globe, with one possibility a reunion with his former Anfield manager Rafa Benitez at Newcastle.
Antonio Sanz, director of communication with Torres' representatives Bahia Internacional, told Radio Marca that while no decision had been made yet over his client's future, Major League Soccer or the Chinese Super League were the two most favoured options at present.
"There is no team yet," Sanz said. "But we do have ideas. One option is the U.S. and another China. Not Europe, nor the Middle East."
The MLS transfer window remains open until May, then reopens again on July 10. Clubs in the Chinese Super League cannot sign players until June 18.
It remains to be seen which clubs would be interested in the aging Torres, and one source told ESPN FC's Jeff Carlisle the Seattle Sounders would be "unlikely" to pursue a deal.
At Monday's announcement, Torres said he wanted "to continue playing for two, three or five years" and would use the next few months to analyse with an open mind whatever offers came his way.
"I still feel I can play, and want to keep playing," he said. "I have not listened to any offers [from other clubs] yet, but I will now. We will sit down and look at what we have, before making a decision when the time comes."
The veteran was linked with Chinese club Dalian Yifang in recent months, with Spanish media reports claiming he turned down a €15 million a year salary offer. Dalian Yifang are owned by Atletico's former sponsors Wanda and signed Belgium winger Yannick Carrasco and Argentina playmaker Nico Gaitan from the rojiblanco club for a reported combined fee of €48 million in February.
Since Diego Costa became available to play for Atletico again in January, Torres has started just one of the team's 14 La Liga matches, and did not get even one minute in what was always likely to be his final potential derbi at the Bernabeu last weekend.
He has seven goals in 34 appearances this season, but five of those strikes came in relatively easy wins when Simeone had rested his first-choice attackers in the Copa del Rey or Europa League.
Having just turned 34 last month, Torres feels he has more to contribute, though at what level remains to be seen. As the only player ever to play in and win finals in the World Cup, European Championships, Champions League and Europa League, he has a wealth of experience and know-how to pass on. Even while ruing a declining goals return, Simeone has regularly praised on an attitude and work rate which was an example to younger teammates.
Over two spells at Atletico, Torres has scored 113 goals in 330 appearances, but the former Vicente Calderon ball-boy has never lifted a trophy with his boyhood club, something which could still be fixed should Simeone's side end this season by winning the Europa League.