Real Madrid have moved to strike down a report on Spanish television that claimed they had made a €310 million offer to sign Neymar from Paris Saint-Germain.
Neymar has been continually linked with a potential move to Real Madrid since he left Barcelona to sign with PSG last summer, but the club objected when TVE reported on Monday that Los Blancos had sent a stratospheric offer to the French champions.
"In light of information broadcast tonight by TVE regarding an alleged Real Madrid offer to PSG and their player Neymar, Real Madrid C. F. wishes to state that this information is absolutely untrue. Real Madrid has made no offer of any kind to PSG or the player," a Real Madrid statement said.
"Real Madrid are surprised that the Spanish public television network would choose to broadcast entirely false information without anyone from the outlet having first contacted any of the parties concerned to corroborate the supposed information, which would have been quite easily discredited."
The statement was published hours after Neymar scored to help Brazil beat Mexico 2-0 and advance to the World Cup quarterfinals.
Madrid president Florentino Perez has tracked Neymar for more than a decade, and other recent reports had claimed that a €350m deal was being put together to bring him to the Bernabeu.
Meanwhile, PSG are under pressure from UEFA to raise cash from selling players to help comply with financial fair play rules.
The links have become so prominent since the transfer window opener that a number of Real Madrid players have commented on the situation, including vice-captain Marcelo, who said last month: "Real Madrid's doors are always open for Neymar. Madrid must always look for the best players. One day Neymar will play for Real Madrid."
TVE's disputed report had also claimed that the offer included a seven-year deal for Neymar worth €45m annually.