Kaka scores late as Orlando splits spoils with NYCFC in MLS debuts

Orlando City's Kaka scored in second-half stoppage time to give the Lions a 1-1 draw with New York City FC in the expansion teams' first Major League Soccer game Sunday in front of an announced crowd of 62,510.

NYCFC appeared to be to be on its way to the victory in the 76th minute when Mix Diskerud took a pass from David Villa just outside 18-yard box, pushed it with one touch inside the box and rifled a curling shot that sneaked inside the far post.

But in the 91st minute, Orlando was awarded a free kick after Kevin Molino was fouled 10 yards outside the box. On the ensuing play, Kaka got it past Josh Saunders on a deflection off New York's wall.

Diskerud's goal was NYCFC's only shot on goal, but Orlando's attack was steady throughout, finishing the game with 15 total shots. Saunders finished with three saves, staying in the game despite a pair of plays that left him bruised and bloodied.

The first incident came in the 14th minute, when he hit his head falling backward on the goalpost while defending a ball played in from the sideline by Orlando's Lewis Neal. Then, in the 62nd minute blood streamed from Saunders head after he was kicked above the ear by Orlando's Carlos Rivas, who was trying to play a ball played to the top of the box.

Clint Dempsey scored twice and Obafemi Martins added a goal to help the Seattle Sounders beat the New England Revolution 3-0.

Dempsey opened the scoring in the 25th minute. He was taken down in the box by New England's Juan Agudelo. Dempsey then stepped up to the penalty spot himself and drove his shot just under the crossbar and into the roof on the right side.

Coming off a club-record 18-goal performance last season, Martins scored in the 41st minute.

The Sounders put the game out of reach with a breakaway goal late in the 67th minute. Dempsey and Martins exchanged two short, quick passes just beyond the midfield line, and Dempsey sent it over to Marco Pappa on the left wing. Pappa sent a through ball forward that Martins caught up with and could have put into the net himself. Instead, he tapped it back to Dempsey for the easy score.

Lloyd Sam bent in a shot from distance in the 54th minute as the New York Red Bulls played to a 1-1 draw with 10-man Sporting Kansas City.

SKC opened the scoring in the 50th minute when Ike Opara headed in Benny Feilhaber's cross.

Four minutes later, Sam cut back on his defender and scored from outside the 18-yard box.