A spokesperson for the Qatari government has rejected reports that over 1,000 workers have died on the construction sites for the 2022 World Cup as "altogether untrue."
Amid ongoing allegations of corruption in the bidding process for the 2022 World Cup, the Gulf state has also come under scrutiny over the deaths of migrant workers building infrastructure projects for the World Cup.
Already in 2014, the International Trade Union Confederation said almost 1,200 people had died and warned the number could go up to 4,000 by 2022.
However, German news wire SID quoted Qatari government spokesperson Saif al-Thani as saying those reports are "altogether untrue."
"In actual fact, in over five million labour hours for the World Cup no life of a worker was lost," he said in a written statement.
The Qatari government and FIFA have claimed that the awarding of the 2022 World Cup has improved the conditions for migrant workers in the Gulf State.
Last Sunday, FIFA corporate communication manager Alexander Koch told German TV talkshow Jauch on Sunday: "It's my strong conviction that the awarding of the World Cup to Qatar is good for the workers there."
However, a report last week by the Business and Human Rights Resource Centre on actions, or the absence of actions, by multinational construction companies operating in Qatar said that only a handful of companies are making serious efforts to improve the working conditions for the 1.5 million migrant workers currently in the Gulf State.
Also last week, Amnesty International accused Qatar authorities of "promising little and delivering less" in terms of effective reform.