Outgoing FIFA president Sepp Blatter says he made the decision to resign because his conscience told him to "do something" for the organisation as he announced a new reform task force.
Blatter was speaking to the media for the first time since announcing he would resign as FIFA president four days after being re-elected in May, but the news conference -- already staged after its intended start time -- was further delayed after being gatecrashed by British comedian Simon Brodkin.
When Blatter finally began speaking, he apologised for the delay but said he was "very happy" to be greeting the media and added: "I think it is a very important day for football."
The 79-year-old was pressed on why he had made the decision to resign his position so suddenly after his re-election.
He first said his decision to quit was not only down to "the pressure of any authorities" but "also the pressure of political interference," and he responded to further questioning on the matter by saying: "I just tried to explain to you the pressure that was coming from different groups.
"They were attacking FIFA. I had with my conscience to do something for FIFA, not for me."
FIFA's executive committee had decided earlier on Monday that the election to choose the new president will be held on Feb. 26, 2016, and Blatter said: "Then, a new president of FIFA will be elected. Naturally I'm keen to know who will be the next president of FIFA."
It had previously been suggested that Blatter could stand again in the coming election, but he said on Monday that he would not be standing.
He said that he had "kicked the ball out of the field to stop something" when he announced that he would resign his post, but stressed that he was still the "elected president" and said appearing before the press in that role made him feel like he was "still alive."
He said: "I want, I still want -- and this is my prerogative -- to defend the institution of FIFA. I am happy that today the executive committee have said, 'Yes, president, we help you ... to go and defend FIFA.'"
FIFA had set up reform task forces in 2011 but Blatter said he was now creating a new task force made up of 11 people, explaining: "You know we had a reform process since 2011 but there were still a few points that were not dealt with."
When asked about the lack of trust in Blatter's ability to lead the reform, he said that 85 percent of the previous task force's targets had been successfully carried out.
"Look on fifa.com and you will see, graphically presented, what kind of reforms have not been realised after the first decision in 2011," he said, stressing that the new group had been created to finish the job.
Blatter also said he plans to return to journalism after he leaves his position but said: "This time I will go to radio because radio is the most popular item in information because it's 24 hours and everyone can listen, so if you ask me what I want to do... it's easier to speak than to write."