Man City cruise past Sunderland in Capital One Cup, Swansea fall at Hull

Kevin De Bruyne scored his second goal in three days and Manchester City rolled past Sunderland 4-1 in the third round of the Capital One Cup on Tuesday.

City rebounded from Saturday's defeat to West Ham to win at the Stadium of Light in their first cup match of the season.

Sergio Aguero opened the scoring from the penalty spot 10 minutes into the match after Patrick van Aanholt fouled Jesus Navas.

De Bruyne doubled City's advantage on 25 minutes by beating Vito Mannone at his near post from a tight angle.

Raheem Sterling then kept City's attack going. His shot in the 33rd minute bounced back off the post and went in off Mannone for an own goal, but Sterling got credit for City's fourth goal three minutes later by shooting past the Sunderland keeper from an angle.

The hosts got back a consolation goal in the second half as Ola Toivonen nodded home a cross from American full-back DeAndre Yedlin, who was making his Sunderland debut following his loan from Tottenham.

David Meyler's goal shortly before half-time give Hull City a 1-0 win over Swansea, who made 10 changes from the side that drew with Everton at the weekend.

Meyler turned home from a matter of centimetres after Shaun Maloney's header was palmed across goal just before the break.

Hull's Jake Livermore managed 69 minutes in his first appearance since May, when he was suspended following a positive cocaine test.

Andy King scored in extra time to give Leicester a 2-1 win over West Ham.

Leicester's Joe Dodoo opened the scoring in the sixth minute, but Mauro Zarate cancelled it out for West Ham 20 minutes later.

Neither side could find a breakthrough until the 116th minute, when King's header kept Leicester unbeaten in all competitions this season.

Rudy Gestede scored to give Aston Villa a 1-0 win at home over local rivals Birmingham City.

The striker had failed to make a lasting impact in the first half but brilliantly dispatched Jordan Amavi's cross into the bottom corner from eight yards.

The derby was the first between the sides in four years.

Ross Barkley and Gerard Deulofeu scored to rally Everton to a 2-1 win at Reading, who had taken the lead through Nick Blackman in the first half.

Alex Fernandez could only head Gerard Deulofeu's 62nd-minute corner as far as the tidy but previously quiet Barkley, and the promising midfielder capitalised with a fine demonstration of his technical ability by powerfully shooting first time beyond Ali Al Habsi.

It came as a surprise when Deulofeu stood over a free kick, but his direct, curling 30-yard effort in the 73rd minute justified him doing so when the ball reached the back of the net, even if Al Habsi will reflect that having got so close he should have produced a save.

Adam Federici was the hero as Bournemouth sealed progress with a win over Preston North End, 3-2 on penalties.

The game finished 2-2 after Shaun MacDonald had opened the scoring and Jordan Hugill had equalised in the 84th minute to force extra time.

The Cherries went ahead again through Marc Pugh, but Daniel Johnson slotted a 118th minute penalty to force a shoot-out.

Hugill missed the opening penalty and Federici saved from Alan Browne and Johnson to help Eddie Howe's men to the next round.

Peter Crouch scored in the first half to give Stoke City a 1-0 win away to Fulham.

Peter Odemwingie drove a shot just wide of the post before exchanging passes with Crouch, who finished well despite close attention from Richard Stearman.

Albert Adomah's brace guided Middlesbrough to a 3-0 win over fellow Championship side Wolves, with Diego Fabbrini also finding the net.