The United States, Mexico and Canada will formally announce a three-nation bid to co-host the 2026 World Cup on Monday.
A U.S. Soccer statement teased a "historic announcement" to be made in New York, and multiple sources confirmed to ESPN FC that it will see the launch of a campaign to bring the world's biggest sporting event to North America.
The statement was released amid a meeting of CONCACAF leaders in Aruba on Saturday. Victor Montagliani, the confederation president who oversees North, Central America and Caribbean for FIFA, said earlier this week that the three nations were "aiming" for a joint bid that would "rise above politics."
The national federations' plans come amid U.S. President Donald Trump's call for a wall to be built along the Mexican border and signing of executive orders banning immigration and travel from multiple countries.
FIFA is expected to confirm its rules for hosting 2026 World Cup at its congress on May 11 in Bahrain, and name the hosts in May 2020, before the next U.S. presidential election.
The U.S. hosted the World Cup in 1994, while Mexico first hosted in 1970, then stepped in again in 1986 after Colombia backed out for financial concerns. Canada's lone World Cup appearance came in the 1986 event, at which it lost all three games.
But the 2026 World Cup will be the first to expand to 48 teams, and FIFA plans to expand CONCACAF's representation from three or four teams to six.
Montagliani, who is also the president of the Canadian Soccer Association, said last month that he believes all three countries should automatically qualify if chosen as co-hosts.