Man City keeper Ederson avoids broken bone, may miss one game

MANCHESTER -- Manchester City goalkeeper Ederson Moraes did not suffer any broken bones during the 5-0 victory over Liverpool, Pep Guardiola confirmed after Saturday's game.

Ederson was caught in the face by Sadio Mane's high kick as he swept up a long through ball in the 37th minute at the Etihad Stadium.

Mane was sent off for the incident and Ederson received eight minutes of treatment on the pitch before being carried off on a stretcher.

City confirmed he had not suffered concussion but he was taken to City's nearby Etihad Campus medical department for an assessment.

The 24-year-old returned to the stadium shortly before the full-time whistle, rejoining his teammates in the City dugout with a large plaster across his face.

After the match, Guardiola told reporters: "I spoke to the doctor and he said it's not a broken bone, so that is of course so important. Maybe he will be more beautiful after that!"

He added: "Maybe he won't play in the next game."

On whether Mane deserved a red card, he said: "I think this kind of action, Mane didn't see, he's looking at the ball and then the impact is huge.

"I don't know if it's a red card, but I'm pretty sure the red card for Kyle Walker against Everton was not."

Guardiola's side are back in action on Wednesday against Feyenoord and Chile international Claudio Bravo could deputise for Ederson.

City led 1-0 at the time of Ederson's substitution and went onto add four more goals after the dismissal of Mane, who is now likely to miss Liverpool's next three games.

Mane apologised for any injury Ederson may have suffered but said the contact was accidental.

"I hope and wish Ederson a quick recovery," Mane wrote on Facebook. "I am so sorry he was hurt during our accidental collision on the pitch and am sorry for him that he could not complete the match because of it. I pray he heals fast and is back playing very soon!"

Guardiola was delighted with his side's ruthlessness as they inflicted Klopp with the worst defeat of his Liverpool career. It was also City's first win over Liverpool in five attempts.

"Sometimes it is not easy to play against 10 men but we did it well and of course the second goal helped us a lot," he added. "After they switched to three at the back we wasted some minutes. We had to find the right moment with Sergio [Aguero], Kevin [De Bruyne] and David [Silva]. We had patience to do that. We read the situation quite well.

"For a long time City were not able to beat Liverpool so we are so happy for that, for our confidence and for our Champions League game."