Man City crush Steaua Bucharest in UCL, Gladbach claim big away win

Sergio Aguero scored a hat trick as Manchester City made light work of Steaua Bucharest by winning 5-0 in Romania to put one foot in the Champions League group stage.

City could even afford two penalty misses from Aguero as they cruised to victory ahead of the second leg at the Etihad on Aug. 24.

David Silva and Nolito were also on target as City, with Joe Hart again on the bench, eased to victory in the first leg of their playoff in Romania and maintained Pep Guardiola's winning start.

The tie looks well beyond Steaua heading into next week's second leg in Manchester.

Borussia Monchengladbach will also be strong favourites to book their place in the group stage for a second successive season after a 3-1 victory at Young Boys.

The Bundesliga outfit were in front in Switzerland after just 11 minutes when Raffael opened the scoring, firing home a right-footed shot from outside the box from a Thorgan Hazard pass.

Young Boys were level in the 56th minute when Yoric Ravet set up Miralem Sulejmani to score from close range.

But that joy was shortlived as Gladbach scored twice in three minutes to put the tie firmly in their favour.

Andre Hahn latched onto a Lars Stindl ball in the 67th minute to restore the lead before an own goal by Alain Rochat, following a Raffael shot, provided a two-goal cushion.

Ajax came from a goal behind to secure a 1-1 draw at home to Russian debutants Rostov.

Christian Noboa converted a free kick after only 13 minutes to put Rostov in front.

But the Dutch hosts found a way back into the game seven minutes before the break after Cesar Navas brought down Riechedly Bazoer in the box, and Davy Klaassen converted from the spot.

Ajax created a host of chances and were denied on several occasions by Rostov goalkeeper Soslan Dzhanaev.

FC Copenhagen won 1-0 at home to APOEL Nicosia, Andrija Pavlovic netting in the 43rd minute.

Dinamo Zagreb were held 1-1 at home by Austrian side FC Salzburg. Valentino Lazaro headed Salzburg into a 59th-minute lead and the Croatian side were rescued by Marko Rog's 76th-minute penalty after he had been fouled by Bernardo.