Borussia Dortmund defender Marc Bartra will be out for about four weeks because of the injury sustained in the bomb attack on the team bus.
Coach Thomas Tuchel said on Thursday that "it looks like Marc Bartra will return to the team in four weeks. He'd like to play now already."
Bartra was hit by shrapnel as three explosions hit the bus on Tuesday as it left the team hotel for Dortmund's Champions League quarterfinal match against Monaco.
The Spaniard was taken to hospital and had surgery on a broken bone in his wrist. After the operation, Bartra posted an Instagram photo of himself making a thumbs-up gesture with his left hand. He had a bandage wrapped around his right arm, and a smaller bandage around his left wrist.
The Office of the Attorney General of Germany is investigating the incident. Prosecutors say the explosive devices used in the bus attack contained metal pins, one of which buried its way into a headrest on the bus. Monaco beat Dortmund, 3-2, in the rescheduled quarterfinal on Wednesday.
Spain international Bartra was the only player injured when windows in the bus shattered in the explosions.
Dortmund said in a statement on Wednesday that Bartra had to have an operation on his arm and wrist after the attack but that it went well.
"Good news regarding Marc Bartra," the statement read. "The BVB player, who sustained injuries to his arm and hand in a bomb attack on Tuesday, is recovering after his operation.
"Given the circumstances, he is doing well, said sporting director Michael Zorc after paying the Spaniard a visit in hospital. Bartra has been absolutely delighted and visibly moved that so many teammates and club officials have paid him a visit since yesterday.
"He will be watching tonight's match on television and has his fingers crossed for the team. Following the successful operation, the Spaniard will be now out of action for several weeks as he recovers."
Hola a todos! Como veis ya estoy mucho mejor, muchas gracias a todo el mundo por los mensajes de apoyo! Toda mi fuerza a mis compañeros, afición y todo el BVB para el partido de esta noche! #HejaBVB Hello everybody! As you can see I am doing much better. Thank you everybody for all your support and your messages! All my strength to my team mates, supporters and fans and to BVB for tonight's match! #HejaBVB
A post shared by Marc Bartra (@marcbartra) on
Bartra's father Josep told AS: "We spoke after the operation and everything has gone well. He told us to be calm, that all things considered, it could have been a lot worse. He is expected to be in hospital for a couple of days and then he will go home."
Barta Sr. said his son had "heard a loud bang and then smoke appeared" as the explosions hit.
He added: "He started to have a headache and his arm hurt a lot. He was in shock. He was in a daze for five minutes and he didn't know what was going on."
Dortmund goalkeeper Roman Burki told Swiss outlet Blick that he had been sitting next to Bartra.
"The bus turned into the main street when there was a giant bang, an explosion. I sat in the last row next to Marc Bartra, who was hit by the shattered glass of the rear window," Burki said. "We all ducked after the bang and those who were able took cover, lying on the floor."
Bartra, a centre-back who can also play at right-back, is in his first season with Dortmund after his summer move from Barcelona.
Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola, who coached Bartra at Barcelona, passed on his best wishes to the 26-year-old.
"I wish him the best recovery possible," said Guardiola. "Fortunately it wasn't that serious but the world is getting crazy and we don't know what it goes to [next]."
Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.