Valencia will not be distracted by Nicolas Otamendi's prospective move to Manchester City as they prepare for Wednesday's Champions League playoff first leg at home to Monaco, right-back Antonio Barragan says.
Otamendi, 27, has been at the centre of much transfer speculation all summer, with the Argentina international strongly linked with Manchester United and Real Madrid before reports emerged at the weekend that he was set to join Manchester City.
A deal had looked close to completion, but reports that City centre-back Eliaquim Mangala would move in the opposite direction on loan are wide of the mark, according to ESPN FC sources.
It had also been reported in local newspaper Superdeporte that 19-year-old Portuguese midfielder Marcos "Rony" Lopes interested the Spanish side, but it appears he too will remain at the Etihad Stadium.
Valencia club sources have since told Superdeporte that they expect to see Otamendi moving to City soon, with the Premier League side set to offer over €40 million (£28.25m).
The transfer speculation provides an unwelcome distraction as Valencia prepare for their meeting with against last season's Champions League quarterfinalists Monaco, but Barragan told a news conference that he and his teammates were just focusing on ensuring they reach the group stage.
"We are focused on the game against Monaco," the ex-Liverpool defender said. "Whatever happens with Otamendi is out of our control. We must get through the tie, no matter what. We are not thinking at all about not getting through this Champions League playoff. To be in the competition is what we really want."
Otamendi's replacement in the Valencia XI is likely to be Ruben Vezo, a 21-year-old who joined Valencia for €1.6m in January 2014 from Vitoria Setubal. The Portugal youth international has since made 15 La Liga appearances as a backup squad player.
Shkrodan Mustafi, Valencia's only other experienced centre-back, told AS that Vezo was ready to step in and perform against Monaco.
"I see [Vezo] prepared," Mustafi said. "Last year he had a good start to the season, when he got to play. He is a young player, and has shown that he is ready for such a huge game."