West Ham say 200 fans face banning orders over violence in Chelsea game

West Ham and the London Stadium say 200 people face football banning orders following the violence during Wednesday night's game against Chelsea.

Police made six arrests after skirmishes broke out toward the end of the stadium's first London derby, when West Ham won 2-1.

Police and stewards battled to maintain segregation behind the goal being defended by West Ham as coins, seats and other objects appeared to be thrown between rival supporters.

The Hammers and Chelsea condemned the unsavoury scenes which are now under investigation by the Football Association -- and swift and decisive action is being taken after the CCTV footage was pored over on Thursday.

"West Ham United and London Stadium are finalising the identification of 200 individuals who will receive stadium bans having been involved in incidents of disorder during West Ham's EFL cup victory over Chelsea," a joint statement read.

"Rapid progress has been made in the investigation with extensive CCTV footage being shared with West Ham United, London Stadium partners, the Metropolitan Police and Chelsea Football Club.

"Banning notifications will be issued for offences ranging from the use of abusive and offensive language to missile throwing. In line with our zero tolerance policy, all those involved will receive a seasonal or lifetime ban depending on the severity of the offence."

West Ham ramped up their security measures ahead of a match widely anticipated to be a potential flashpoint, announcing that fans would face body searches at the turnstiles, alcohol restrictions, postmatch segregation and a "robust policing plan" aimed at minimising crowd trouble.

A heavy police presence was visible around the London Stadium ahead of kick-off and 1,000 stewards were also deployed to manage security, but the nature of the incidents has raised fresh questions about the venue's suitability and readiness for hosting high-profile and emotionally charged football matches.

Metropolitan Police said three men had been charged as of Thursday evening, with James Colin Smith, 36, of Letchworth Garden City facing the most serious charge of assault on police as well as drug possession.

Mark Field, vice chairman of the all-party parliamentary football group and Cities of London and Westminster Conservative MP, said West Ham should play behind closed doors at the former Olympic Stadium if the violent scenes are repeated.

"None of these problems were unforeseeable given the nature of the stadium and difficulties with policing large footballing crowds," he told the Evening Standard. "There have been some clear failings and they now need to move with urgency to deliver a plan about segregation and broader public order issues.

"If there is a repeat of the violence, the next two or three home games for West Ham should be played behind closed doors."

Sports Minister Tracey Crouch earlier called for prompt action against the troublemakers.

She said: "No-one wants to see a return to the dark days of the late '70s and '80s. It is completely right that strong action is taken and that anyone involved in last night's trouble is banned for life."

Meanwhile, West Ham are also investigating and have promised to take the "strongest possible action" after flyers with graphic homophobic content were allegedly distributed at the game.

Chelsea captain John Terry was targeted in the flyers, which suggested lewd song lyrics be directed toward the former England captain.

A West Ham United spokesperson said: "West Ham United are completely and utterly committed to tackling all forms of discrimination in football. Working with the Metropolitan Police Service, the club will be investigating the alleged distribution of these flyers, and will take the strongest possible action against those responsible."

Information from Press Association was used in this report.