David Moyes has told Javier Hernandez he will be given the chance to establish himself in his West Ham attack but warned he would not be allowed special treatment.
Hernandez, 29, was part of Moyes' Manchester United squad during the 2013-14 season but started just five Premier League games over the course of his reign.
That has prompted concerns that the Mexico international, who joined from Bayer Leverkusen in the summer, could again find himself surplus to requirements following Moyes' arrival at West Ham, but the former Everton boss said he would afford him the chance to impress.
"He's a top goal scorer, a brilliant finisher," he said. "It was difficult for him at United because I had Robin van Persie, Wayne Rooney, Danny Welbeck, Shinji Kagawa, so there was lots of competition.
"But he'll be treated the same here -- if he's playing well and scoring, no problems; if he's not, it will be the same as the rest."
Hernandez, whose injury during Mexico's 3-3 draw with Belgium on Friday is due to be assessed, has scored four goals in 11 Premier League appearances for West Ham so far this season.
The Hammers are currently 18th in the table, but Moyes -- whose Sunderland side finished bottom last season -- said he believed the squad had enough quality to improve if they respond to his management.
"I don't think it's a bad team, a bad squad, but I can't be bothered with any drivel," he said. "I'm going to be direct with the players. If they don't like it, then I'm sorry. We've got to make sure we get through to them quickly. If it works, great. If it doesn't, then I'll see the East End of London for seven months, then I'll go elsewhere."