Former two-time heavyweight titlist Nikolai Valuev of Russia will undergo surgery on his left shoulder and right wrist next week to take care of nagging injuries, according to his promoters.
Chris Meyer of Sauerland Event told ESPN.com that the injuries have given Valuev problems for the past five or six years. With no fight on the horizon, it was a good time to take care of the problems, Meyer said.
Valuev (50-2, 34 KOs), who turned 37 on Saturday, has not fought since losing his title via majority decision to England's David Haye in November.
Valuev could be out for six months, according to a report in the German newspaper Bild. The report quoted Valuev's doctor, Walter Wagner, as saying, "He can't train for half a year. Nikolai's joints and bones are already damaged."
Valuev's handlers had been trying to negotiate a fight with titleholder Vitali Klitschko. They had gone back and forth for months, but were far apart on the money. Klitschko had offered $1.5 million while Don King, Valuev's co-promoter, was seeking $2.5 million.
Instead, Klitschko recently came to terms with former champion Shannon Briggs to fight Oct. 16, leaving Valuev without a significant fight.
Valuev first won the WBA version of the title on a majority decision against John Ruiz in 2005. He made three defenses before losing it via majority decision to Ruslan Chagaev in 2007.
Valuev's second reign began when he reclaimed the vacant belt on points against Ruiz in 2008. He defended it against Evander Holyfield with a controversial majority decision in December 2008 before losing it to Haye.
Dan Rafael is ESPN.com's boxing writer. Follow him on Twitter @danrafaelespn.