Serena to play Davenport in final

MELBOURNE, Australia -- Serena Williams finally beat Maria
Sharapova in a big match, saving three match points and defeating
the Wimbledon champion 2-6, 7-5, 8-6 Thursday in the Australian
Open semifinals.
The seventh-seeded Williams, seeking her seventh Grand Slam
title, will face top-ranked Lindsay Davenport in an all-American
final Saturday. Davenport rallied to beat 19th-seeded Nathalie
Dechy of France 2-6, 7-6 (5), 6-4 in the second semifinal.
"I have to stay focused," said Williams, the 2003 Australian
Open winner who skipped the tournament last year because of a knee
injury. "I'm back in a final. It's been such a tough 12 months for
Sharapova, an upset winner over Williams last
year in the Wimbledon final and season-ending WTA championship,
served for the match at 5-4 in the second set and again at 5-4 in
the third.
"I played from my heart. I didn't take my chances. That's what
this game is all about," Sharapova said. "The match could have
gone either way. She took her chances when she had to and that's
the difference. That's why she won."
The third set lasted 66 minutes, and the crowd in the packed Rod
Laver Arena cheered and groaned on every point, seemingly not
wanting the drama to end.
"I think it definitely lived up to expectations," Williams
said. "It was a lot of fun ... I can't believe it's over, I feel
like I should still be playing."
After twice trading breaks earlier in the set and saving match
points with a string of blistering forehands, Williams saved three
break points before holding in the 13th game, setting up game point
with a serve-and-volley approach.
She dropped to her knees and punched the air repeatedly when she
set up two match points of her own with a winner in the next game.
After finishing off the 2-hour, 39-minute match with a backhand,
Williams leaped all the way to the net.
In 2003, Williams saved two match points in a semifinal against
Kim Clijsters before reaching the final and beating older sister
"Two times in a row back from match point down ... this is
such a special court for me," Williams said after winning her 13th
consecutive match at Melbourne Park.
Williams blamed her Wimbledon loss on nerves because she was
coming back from a long time off the circuit because of injuries.
But she was tight from the beginning Thursday, spraying shots into
the net, long and wide. She had 13 unforced errors in the first
five games alone against the young Russian.
Williams couldn't seem to believe her inaccuracy, testing her
swing after mistakes, shaking her head and even laughing.
Sharapova needed only four winners in the first set, earning two
service breaks as she blunted most of Williams' power and then only
needed to keep the ball in play.
In the first game of the second set, a ballboy bounced a ball at
Williams and she smacked it into the stands in pure frustration
after losing a point to let Sharapova back to 30-all.
Williams started to match Sharapova's squeals with her own
grunts on the big shots.
After putting away a leaping overhead winner to close the third
game of the second set, Williams pumped her arm and yelled "Yes!
Come On!" from between clenched teeth.
She hit a 124-mph serve -- the fastest by a woman in the
tournament -- to hold after saving a break point with another
powerful overhead in the seventh game. And again she grunted
Williams broke Sharapova's serve in the 11th game of the second
set and held to even the match at one set apiece.
Williams looked fitter in the deciding set as Sharapova, who had
a tough, three-set victory against compatriot and U.S. Open champion
Svetlana Kuznetsova in the quarterfinals, struggled again in the
"There's nothing negative -- I'm 17 years old and I've made it
to the semifinals of the Australian Open," Sharapova said. "This
is not a sprint, it's a marathon. Of course I'm sad, it's a tough
one to lose. But I've got a long way ahead of me."
Top-ranked Roger Federer faced No. 4 Marat Safin on Thursday
night for a place in Sunday's men's final. Federer beat Safin in
the 2004 final.
Andy Roddick was leading 6-3, 7-5, 4-1 when Nikolay Davydenko
retired from their quarterfinal after just 1:35 Wednesday because
he was having trouble breathing.
That was less time than Roddick's semifinal opponent, Lleyton
Hewitt, needed for the fifth set alone before getting past
Argentina's David Nalbandian 6-3, 6-2, 1-6, 3-6, 10-8 in 4:05.
Hewitt's marathon win ensured the top four seeded men made the
semifinals in the Australian Open for the first time since 1988,
and at any Grand Slam tournament for the first time since Wimbledon
in 1995.

The Roddick-Hewitt semifinal is Friday night (ESPN2, 3:30 a.m. ET).