Diana Taurasi, Mercury turn up heat on Fever for overtime win

PHOENIX -- Diana Taurasi scored seven of her season-high 32 points in overtime, all on free throws, as the Phoenix Mercury beat the Indiana Fever 93-89 on Sunday.

Candice Dupree had season bests of 21 points and 18 rebounds for the Mercury (1-3), who were the WNBA's last winless team this season.

"It felt like Game 5 of the finals, and that's how we are going to have to treat every game," Taurasi said. "I think we showed what time of team we can be, but the key is to build on it. It is no good if you only do it and pull away with a win one time."

Marie Ferdinand-Harris added a season-high 17 points, including the final two free throws with 8.5 seconds left for Phoenix, which trailed by 12 late in the third quarter.

Jessica Davenport had 20 points and nine rebounds before fouling out 13 seconds into the extra period, Tamika Catchings added 17 and 15 rebounds for the Fever (3-3). Jeanette Pohlen also scored 17 points, including 5 for 5 on 3-pointers in the first half.

Indiana leading scorer Katie Douglas, who has averaged 19.2 points a game in the first five contests, hurt her lower back on a fall with 1:40 left in the first quarter, and did not return.

Ferdinand-Harris hit a 17-footer with 1:25 left in overtime to tie the score at 89.

Indiana turned the ball over and Catchings fouled Taurasi with 21.7 seconds left and she hit the two free throws. She had made five straight earlier in the overtime to tie it at 87 after Indiana had scored the first five points.

"I'm really disappointed we didn't win this ball game," Fever coach Lin Dunn said. "I thought if anything we gave it away. I thought we gave it away with bad decisions down the stretch. ... I really thought that we did all the things that we needed to do with Katie Douglas being hurt. I thought at the end of the night we just shot ourselves in the foot and gave the game away."

Temeka Johnson made two free throws with 9.5 seconds left in regulation but Briann January found Davenport for a layup with 1.9 seconds remaining to send the game to overtime at 82-all.

"They set good screens for me, and also when I was in the post I was able to try to get the deepest position I could," Davenport said. "They were playing me one-on-one and my teammates told me to attack the basket, so I did."

Phoenix trailed 64-52 with 1:14 left in the third quarter. The Mercury rallied with a 22-10 run as Taurasi and Penny Taylor scored back-to-back baskets to tie the score at 74 with 3:38 remaining in regulation.

Despite missing nine of their first 11 shots, the Fever erased an early eight-point deficit to take a 50-41 halftime advantage. Indiana went on a 16-4 run to start the second quarter.

The Fever led by as much as 55-41 in the first minute of the second half.

"The Fever are a good team. They were missing Douglas today but regardless they are still a good team," Mercury coach Corey Gaines said. "They fight hard and their defense is tight on people. You have to win those types of games at home."

Indiana's reserves outscored their Phoenix counterparts 52-21.