Yori plans to coach next game

LINCOLN, Neb. -- Nebraska coach Connie Yori, who collapsed during a game over the weekend, said Tuesday her health is fine and she is planning to be at Ohio State for Thursday night's game.

Yori said she's been on medication for a bacterial infection for a couple weeks and was dehydrated when she passed out in front of the Cornhuskers' bench in the second half of Sunday's game against Indiana.

Yori, 50, was taken by ambulance to a Lincoln hospital, where she was examined and received intravenous fluids. She spent Monday morning at home and worked four or five hours at her office in the afternoon.

"Before the game I wasn't feeling great, and at halftime I said to our coaching staff, `I feel real dizzy,' " she said. "The odd thing is that I drink more water than any human being alive. I drink a gallon of water a day. I always have believed in that. So it's just weird they're telling me I'm dehydrated."

Yori said she's proud of how her team responded after she collapsed with about 12 minutes left in the game. The 17th-ranked Huskers (19-5, 9-3 Big Ten) won 76-61 and are tied with Michigan for second place in the league, 1½ games behind No. 9 Penn State.

"I didn't actually see her fall," senior forward Jordan Hooper said. "I saw her laying on the ground and thought, `Gosh, dang it, what the heck happened?' I didn't know if she tripped over something awkwardly and fell. When I didn't see her get up, that's when the worry started."

Yori clearly was uncomfortable with her health being the main topic at her weekly news conference. Asked about the sequence of events Sunday, Yori deadpanned, "Besides embarrassing myself on national TV?"

"Our secretary had a great analogy. She said I looked like a redwood tree in a redwood forest -- TIM-BER!"

Yori had a health scare two years ago. She was hospitalized for almost a month in the fall following complications from knee surgery. A staph infection and blood clot in the knee caused so much pain that she passed out and had to be rushed to the hospital by ambulance.

Yori said she had been trying to get by on three or four hours of sleep a night lately, and combined with the infection she was battling, something had to give. She said her husband, Kirk Helms, has implored her to get more rest. They have a 9-year-old son.

"It's demanding profession. It's 24/7, and you don't get a lot of rest," Yori said. "I've got a family I'm trying to balance. You have to love what you're doing, but you also have to find a way to (achieve) balance so you stay healthy."

Hooper, who scored 31 points against Indiana, said her coach looked a lot better Tuesday than she did Sunday.

"We haven't practiced yet, so I don't know how boisterous she's going to be today," Hooper said. "But it's good to see her up and moving."