PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Pirates fans wondered much of the
summer how catcher Jason Kendall could possibly turn down a $60
million, six-year contract.
As it turns out, he didn't.
| |
|
| |
| 2000 SEASON STATISTICS |
| AVG. |
R |
H |
HR |
RBI |
SB |
| .320 |
112 | 185 |
14 | 58 |
22 | |
|
On Friday, Kendall signed a $60 million contract much like that
he previously rejected last summer. The deal was completed after
the Pirates backed off their demands that more than one-third of
the money be deferred; instead, only about $3 million will be
deferred.
"Without question, this is an important day for us," general
manager Cam Bonifay said. "He always maintained he wanted to
remain with the Pittsburgh Pirates and this contract continues that
journey."
Kendall said he wouldn't have stayed in Pittsburgh unless he was
convinced a team coming off eight consecutive losing seasons was
ready to start winning now.
"I wouldn't have signed here for six more years if I didn't
think we couldn't win a world championship here," Kendall said.
"I want to win here. I want to get a ring here. And when I get
that ring, I'm going to put it under my pillow and try to get
another the next year."
Between them, Kendall and outfielder Brian Giles have negotiated
deals worth $105 million this year -- or $10 million more than owner
Kevin McClatchy and his backers paid for the team in 1996.
In May, Giles signed a $45 million, six-year contract, with
$12.5 million deferred until 2006 at 5 percent interest.
"Having both him and Brian for five years reminds me of (Craig)
Biggio and (Jeff) Bagwell together in Houston," McClatchy said.
Not look after Giles signed, the Pirates offered Kendall a $60
million, six-year contract, but he rejected it because at least $24
million would have been deferred.
Giles agreed to defer some money to help the Pirates retain
Kendall and pitcher Todd Ritchie, who later signed a $5.5 million,
two-year deal.
Kendall and the Pirates had talked on and off since then, with
the Pirates finally offering to defer less money and increase the
interest paid on the money deferred to 5 percent.
"We've worked on this on and off for two years, and it was
interrupted by an unfortunate injury, but we've been patient with
it and we want to get this concluded as soon as we can," Bonifay
said.
Bonifay said earlier this week he wanted the Kendall matter
resolved before the winter meetings Dec. 8-12 at Dallas. Bonifay
probably would have tried to trade Kendall if a contract agreement
had not been reached by then.
Kendall will make $3.1 million in 2001, the last year under his
current contract, before his new contract kicks in. If he had not
re-signed or been traded, he could have become a free agent after
next season.
Kendall has played in three All-Star Games in his five Pirates
seasons and might have been picked for a fourth if he had not
severely dislocated his right ankle July 4, 1999, against
Milwaukee.
Kendall missed the rest of that season, but following an
exhaustive rehabilitation program that often lasted as long as
eight hours a day, returned to hit .320 with 14 homers, 58 RBI and
22 stolen bases in 152 games last season.
Kendall started in the All-Star Game when the Mets' Mike Piazza
was hurt, and Bonifay considers him the second-best offensive
catcher in the NL. | |
AUDIO/VIDEO

Catcher Jason Kendall signs a deal to remain in Pittsburgh. RealVideo: 28.8

Jason Kendall wants to win a World Series in a Pittsburgh Pirates uniform. wav: 252 k RealAudio: 14.4 | 28.8 | 56.6
|