Manchester City strike late to beat Leipzig, snap losing run


Guardiola on youngster Rico Lewis: one of best I've ever coached

Pep Guardiola discusses the 18-year-old's performance in Man City's 3-1 Champions League victory vs. RB Leipzig.

Holders Manchester City struck twice in the final minutes through Julián Álvarez and Jeremy Doku to beat hosts RB Leipzig 3-1 on Wednesday and rebound from successive domestic defeats to take control of Champions League Group G with maximum points.

Álvarez curled his shot from the edge of the box into the top corner in the 84th minute and Doku slotted in as City, who had lost to Newcastle United in the EFL Cup before their league loss to Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday, moved up to six points from two games in top spot.

- Stream on ESPN+: LaLiga, Bundesliga, more (U.S.)

City have now equalled the longest European unbeaten run by an English club with 16 matches.

"We played a fantastic game in all departments," said City coach Pep Guardiola. "After five minutes, we took the game with a lot of passes and when a team is able to do this very nice things are going to happen in your game.

"Everyone was perfect. We are really pleased. The substitutes all came off the bench with smiles on their faces, not complaining because they did not start.

"I will not judge my team on results. Both games [defeats in previous matches] were not the best results. It happens. There are many games."

Manchester City's Julián Álvarez celebrates with Jérémy Doku after scoring his team's second goal against RB Leipzig.
Manchester City's Julián Álvarez celebrates with Jérémy Doku after scoring his team's second goal against RB Leipzig.
Nick Potts/PA Images via Getty Images

City enjoyed a strong start and had a double chance in the 14th minute with Rico Lewis's fine turn and shot blocked and Phil Foden's rebound sailing just wide of the post with Bernardo Silva failing to connect.

Foden did better when he opened the scoring with a first-time finish in the 25th minute to beat keeper Janis Blaswich with a bouncing shot.

With Pep Guardiola's team enjoying 73% possession in the first half and Leipzig unable to counter City's slick passing game and possession, City went close to doubling their lead through Erling Haaland in the 31st but the Norwegian's shot sailed wide.

Leipzig struck three minutes after the restart with their first chance of the game as Loïs Openda latched on to well-timed Yussuf Poulsen pass and held off a challenge by Manuel Akanji to slot in off the post.

The visitors, however, refused to settle for a point, moving further up the pitch in search of a winner, and Foden hit the crossbar in the 63rd with curling free kick.

With Haaland, who had scored five goals in last year's 7-0 demolition of Leipzig, largely shut out, it was Álvarez who decided the game when he curled a superb shot past Blaswich and into the top corner.

The Germans opened up in search of a late equaliser and City struck again on the break with Alvarez sending Doku through to slot in deep in stoppage time and seal the three points.

They next face Swiss side Young Boys on Oct. 25 while Leipzig, in second place on three points, take on Red Star Belgrade.