A Rare Conversation with Former Philadelphia 76ers GM Sam Hinkie (Re-Air)
When the Philadelphia 76ers announced they were hiring Daryl Morey to be their president of basketball operations, it turned heads across the NBA. Not just because of Morey's track record with the Houston Rockets, but because of his close relationship with former 76ers GM Sam Hinkie. Hinkie's tenure with the 76ers was polarizing. With some accusing him of tanking and turning the team into a laughingstock, and others admiring his long-term vision for the team's success...a vision that has come to be embodied by the now ubiquitous phrase "Trust the Process." Hinkie, who was ousted from the franchise in 2016, now works not in basketball but in business, and has founded a venture capital firm called Eighty-Seven Capital. In a re-spin of an ESPN Daily bonus episode, Hinkie joins Pablo Torre for a rare, wide-ranging interview that covers his time with the Sixers, his exit from basketball, and his perspective on life away from the game.
THE GIANNIS DRAFT Ep. 1: Who is Giannis?
He was a Greek teen of Nigerian descent, hocking trinkets on the streets of Athens. And when he started playing basketball, few people knew what to make of Giannis Antetokounmpo. The only thing the scouts could see was that he was all arms and legs. The only thing Giannis could envision was an opportunity for his family.
Most Recent Podcasts
VAR Crying Out Loud!
Steve Nicol and Stewart Robson discuss Andy Robertson's call for more consistency from VAR, Edinson Cavani's claim for a starting spot at Manchester United, and Chelsea's scoreless draw vs Tottenham. Sid Lowe reflects on Lionel Messi's tribute to Diego Maradona and more from La Liga this weekend. Plus, Tyler Adams looks ahead to Bayern Munich-RB Leipzig and explains why the USMNT won't worry about qualifying for the next World Cup.
When in South Dakota Edition
Greenberg and Dakich tip off the podcast discussing the first week of college basketball, including Richmond upsetting Kentucky, Clemson taking out Purdue and Mississippi State, Memphis volume shooter problem, where things stand with Virginia after losing to San Francisco, Gonzaga playing at another level, Michigan States versatility, Dakichs love affair with Derek Culver, the A10, and why theres no need to be concerned with Villanova.
Hour 2: Best Jobs
We start the hour with ESPN Football Analyst Dan Orlovsky to recap Chiefs/Bucs and preview MNF. Then... we get back to Greeny's "hot takes" from Sunday and take your calls. There are a few openings in the NFL... what's the best job? Greeny thinks there is a clear number one.
Hour 2; Brady or Belichick
Mahomes and the Chiefs look unstoppable. Wasn't pretty but Cam gets the Win. Max feels the Broncos did need to play the game despite having no QBs. Brady or Belichick; who needed who more? Max previews the Monday Night Football game between the Eagles and Seahawks. Max gives his thoughts on Mike Tyson vs Roy Jones Jr.
Bludgeon Your Face
Herbie, Pollack and Negandhi kick off the podcast discussing Notre Dames impressive win over North Carolina and how the Irish may be the No. 1 team in the country. Then, the guys get into Alabamas continued dominance and Mac Jones pulling a Joe Burrow, the Big Tens playoff complications with more canceled games, the health of the sport with players leaving their teams mid-season, and the barrier broken by Vanderbilts Sarah Fuller.
Return of the Mack, Mike Tyson Shines, A Good Cause, Jones/Blaydes?
After winning this past weekends main event, is Anthony Smith again a major player in the UFCs light heavyweight division? DC & Helwani discuss that, as well as if the UFC should pivot from Curtis Blaydes vs. Derrick Lewis and instead book Blaydes against Jon Jones (25:48). Then, the guys break down the Mike Tyson vs. Roy Jones fight and if theres an appetite for legends like Anderson Silva in all this. Plus, Dillon Danis vs. Jake Paul in the boxing ring, Israel Adesanyas commentary Khabib Nurmagomedov enters the business world (56:20), and memories of the late ESPN broadcaster Stuart Scott, who the UFC will honor Saturday on its Fight Like Hell night.
- Our search for Conrad Mainwaring began with a single tip, from a California man named Andrew Zenoff. Andrew reached out to reporter Mike Kessler and told the story of his older brother, Victor. The siblings had attended a summer camp in the late 70s, where Victor was allegedly molested by Mainwaring. By 1980, just short of his 18th birthday, Victor would die unexpectedly just days after telling his mother what Conrad did to him. For years, the Zenoffs grappled not only with the loss, but with so many unanswered questions. Beginning in 2017, after Andrew called Kessler, we began to look for answers. And we started with a question that seemed simple enough, but proved quite elusive: Who was Conrad Mainwaring?
- In the middle of the Cold War, Romanian gymnastics coaches Bela and Martha Karolyi turn Nadia Comaneci, a 14-year-old gymnast from a Communist country, into a global symbol of excellence at the 1976 Olympics when she scores the first perfect 10. But Romania becomes too small and too controlled for Belas ambitions, and the Karolyis set their sights on the freedom of the United States. If you or someone you know has been subjected to sexual assault or abuse, and you would like more information or support, these hotlines can help: RAINN's 24/7 confidential national sexual assault hotline: 1-800-656-4673, or ChildHelp: 1-800-4-A-Child.
- Mina and Robert Mays of The Athletic discuss the Rams win on Monday Night Football, if Taysom Hill can keep it up with the Saints, whether or not the Raiders are legitimate contenders, and look ahead to Titans-Colts. Plus, Who Caught Your Eye and Dinks and Dunks.
- SVP and Stanford Steve are joined by Pittsburgh Steelers Bud Dupree as he talks about the rivalry with the Ravens, what an undefeated season means, Big Blue Nation & more. Plus, The Thanksgiving week isnt the same without all the college basketball tournaments.
- Zach and Chris Herring of 538 discuss the winners and losers of the NBA's wild offseason.
FIND YOUR FAVORITE PODCAST
ESPN Originals30 for 30
Around the Rim
Baseball Tonight with Buster Olney
Behind the Bets with Doug Kezirian
Brian Windhorst & The Hoop Collective
Cheap Heat with Peter Rosenberg
Courtside with Greenberg & Dakich
DC & Helwani
Down & Distance
ESPN On Ice with Wyshynski and Kaplan
Fantasy Focus Baseball
Fantasy Focus Football
I'm Interested with Mike Greenberg
Jalen & Jacoby - The Aftershow
Laughter Permitted with Julie Foudy
Le Batard & Friends - Mystery Crate
Le Batard & Friends - South Beach Sessions
Le Batard & Friends - STUpodity
Marty Smith's America The Podcast
Matty & The Caddie
Sports? with Katie Nolan
Stanford Steve & The Bear
That's What She Said with Sarah Spain
The Adam Schefter Podcast
The Bill Barnwell Show
The CFB Podcast with Herbie, Pollack & Negandhi
The Gab & Juls Show
The Lowe Post
The Mina Kimes Show featuring Lenny
The Right Time with Bomani Jones
The Sporting Life with Jeremy Schaap
The Undefeated: Rhoden Fellows
The Woj Pod
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Get the latest updates on Twitter. Follow us.