Basketball Heat Check: Is the Hot Hand Fact or Fiction?
From the playground to the gym to the NBA Conference Finals...the basketball court is ruled not by an iron fist, but by the hot hand. Shooters demand the ball when they get a hot hand. Teammates feed the player with the hot hand. Coaches draw up plays for the hot hand. But what if there is actually no such thing as the hot hand? For decades, thats been the belief of Nobel Prize winning scientists who insist that what looks like a player who cant miss...is really just a statistical fluke. Author Ben Cohen penned a book on the subject, The Hot Hand, and he joins the show for a scientific heat check now that the conference finals are in full swing. Is the burning sensation is a verifiable reality, or just a puff of smoke? Then, Pablo seeks to turn his park hobby into disc golf pro Paul McBeths million dollar endorsement deal.
Most Recent Podcasts
Futbol Americas: Is LAFC still the favorite to win MLS Cup?
On Thursdays episode of Futbol Americas, Sebi Salazar is joined by Alejandro Moreno to recap the good, the bad and the ugly from all of the midweek MLS action. Then, Julie Foudy joins the show to discuss the USWNT Olympic roster plus who she thinks is the biggest snub. Later, USL President Jake Edwards joins the show to discuss the status of the league after the MLS announcement of its new developmental league. Finally, Mauricio Pedroza joins the show to discuss Chicharitos continued hot streak and the latest transfer rumors surrounding El Tri.
Americans in Blazers: Roger Bennett on Stars, Stripes, and Soccer
Ahead of his book, Reborn in the USA: An Englishman's Love Letter to His Chosen Home, Roger Bennett of Men in Blazers fame shares how his love for U.S. sports and culture as a kid in Liverpool led him in search of his own American dream. From meeting his childhood idol William The Refrigerator Perry, to the emotion of being sworn in as a US Citizen, Bennett's story truly captures the wonder and complexity of America. It's also the story of sports' magic ability to bridge cultures. And of course, Bennett offers his thoughts on England's chances in the Euro 2020 tournament as it heads into the knockout round.
Booker's Broken Nose, Atlanta's Arrival, and the Coaching Carousel
Brian Windhorst, Tim MacMahon, and Tim Bontemps discuss the Clippers' win in Game 3, the lasting effects of Devin Booker's broken nose, the ascension and chutzpah of Trae Young, the latest intel on the coaching carousel, and the two biggest takeaways from the draft lottery.
Hour 3: Chris Paul Is Back For Game 3
Treavor and Golic Jr. talk with John Collins, Hawks F about that insane alley-oop dunk in Game 1 against the Bucks, that shirt he wore that showed him dunking over Joel Embiid, and how he determines when Trae is throwing a lob versus shooting the ball. Then, Doris Burke, ESPN NBA Analyst joins the show to talk about Game three between the Phoenix Suns and LA Clippers. The guys discuss that Chris Paul will be available for Game three and the feelings that must come for him as he faces his previous teams in the Clippers. Last, the guys talk about throwback NFL helmets they want to see, U.S. Paralympics Track & Field team announced, Rihanna was denied access to a bar because she didnt have her I.D., Game of Thrones author George R.R. Martin admits he should have stayed ahead with the books.
Hour 2: Who Is The Team That Passed On Tom Brady?
Max talks who won the draft the team that got Trae Young and got a first round pick or the team that got Luka Doncic. Then, Jeff Darlington, ESPN NFL Analyst joins the show to discuss Brady comments where he said an NFL team passed on signing him. Max continues his conversation on top ten players in the NBA right now and why some of your favorite players didnt make his top ten or even top fifteen list.
What Were Made Of: A Vaccine Pioneer and Her Olympian Daughter
Every four years, athletes compete for glory at the Olympic Games, and this years Tokyo Games will feel even greater for two-time gold medalist Susan Francia. Her mother, Dr. Kate Karikó, has seen her lifelong work come to fruition in the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine. Dr. Karikós dedication to her research amidst adversity inspired her daughter, who became an elite rower and Olympian. ESPNs Julie Foudy takes us through the story of Dr. Karikós perseverance, her mRNA breakthroughs behind the vaccine, and the mother-daughter relationship at the center of the E:60 upcoming feature What Were Made Of.
Super Bowl Sleepers
We talk which teams are super bowl sleepers according to Marcus. And which teams got better, or worse from the offseason. Also, with the Patriots adding new faces to their defense, will that get them back to the playoffs? Nink and Marcus give their takes.
- Sarah talks to ESPN/ABC's LZ Granderson about his unique voice, how he changed the spelling of his name to distance himself from his difficult childhood, how he struggled to accept his sexuality until after he was married to a woman and had a child, and his career in sports journalism.
- Welcome back to First Take, Her Take! Hosts Charly, Kimberley, and Elle lean into the pettiness on this week's episode! The ladies talk about players being authentically themselves in the best and worst ways, players throwing shade, players not living up to expectations... this episode has it all!
- Katie and the Union (+1) discuss things they should enjoy but would rather get done quickly. Whats going on with Ben Simmons (32:08)? Alternatively, whats up with Doc Rivers (46:27)? The NCAA took an L but issued a statement that tried to make it sound like a W (57:33). Chris Paul isnt out; hes the basketball (1:09:00). Allyson Felix stays good at running (1:21:24). And lastly, a question about names (1:46:10).
- Adam starts off this week's podcast by reading some of the nice comments he received after his interview with Greg Olsen. He also talks about some of the franchise players looking to sign long term deals in the next few weeks. After that, Adam is joined by former head coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers, Bill Cowher, who reflects on his life and career in the NFL. Bill also shares details on his new book and what he is looking forward to in the future with broadcasting and other opportunities.
- On this weeks episode of #Chiney, Chiney Ogwumike is joined by USWNT and Portland Thorns star Crystal Dunn to discuss the upcoming Olympics in Tokyo, the challenges of being a Black soccer player and the unique names of Dunns pet chickens and cats. Dunn also explains how her husband, who is French, felt about the USWNT winning a World Cup against France ... in France.
FIND YOUR FAVORITE PODCAST
ESPN Originals30 for 30
The Adam Schefter Podcast (NFL)
Around the Rim with LaChina Robinson (WBB)
Baseball Tonight with Buster Olney
Behind the Bets with Doug Kezirian
The Bill Barnwell Show (NFL)
Brian Windhorst & The Hoop Collective (NBA)
Caught Offside (Soccer)
The CFB Podcast with Herbie, Pollack & Negandhi
Cheap Heat with Peter Rosenberg
Courtside with Greenberg & Dakich (CBB)
DC & Helwani
ESPN Daily with Pablo Torre
Fantasy Focus Baseball
Fantasy Focus Football
First Draft with Kiper, McShay, and Yates (NFL)
First Take, Her Take
The Gab & Juls Show (Soccer)
Jalen & Jacoby - The Aftershow
Laughter Permitted with Julie Foudy (espnW)
The Lowe Post with Zach Lowe (NBA)
Marty Smith's America
The Mina Kimes Show featuring Lenny (NFL)
The Right Time with Bomani Jones
That's What She Said with Sarah Spain
Sports? with Katie Nolan
Stanford Steve & The Bear
The Undefeated: Rhoden Fellows
The Woj Pod with Adrian Wojnarowski (NBA)
ESPN TV & Radio
Around the Horn (ESPN TV)
Bart & Hahn (ESPN Radio & ESPN+)
Chiney & Golic Jr. (ESPN Radio & ESPN+)
College Football Live (ESPN TV)
ESPN FC (ESPN+)
First Take (ESPN TV)
Get Up! (ESPN TV)
Greeny (ESPN Radio & ESPN+)
Highly Questionable (ESPN TV)
Jalen & Jacoby (ESPN TV & Original)
The Jump (ESPN TV)
Keyshawn, JWill & Zubin (ESPN Radio & ESPN+)
The Max Kellerman Show (ESPN Radio & ESPN+)
NFL Live (ESPN TV)
Packer and Durham (ACC Network)
Pardon the Interruption (ESPN TV)
Paul Finebaum Show (ESPN Radio & SEC Network)
Spain & Fitz (ESPN Radio)
Stephen A's World (ESPN+)
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Get the latest updates on Twitter. Follow us.