null

March, 10, 2009
03/10/09
9:30
AM ET
For more spring training news that could impact your fantasy team, check out our daily camp notes.
• Sign up, play for free
INJURIES UPDATE (10:38 p.m. ET)
Yankees right-hander Chien-Ming Wang threw in the bullpen and will start Friday against Boston. He had his throwing session pushed back one day due to a bad cold.

Meanwhile, closer Mariano Rivera (right shoulder surgery) will throw BP for the first time Wednesday and could pitch in a game around March 17.

HOLLIDAY FACES FORMER TEAM (9:11 p.m. ET)
Oakland outfielder Matt Holliday enjoyed facing his former team for the first time.

Holliday, the 2007 National League batting champion, had two singles but the Rockies earned a 14-7 victory.

"These guys are going to be my friends until I die, no matter where I play, what team they're on or what team I'm on," Holliday said. "They're my friends and it's good to see them, no matter what the circumstances."

Holliday, who established himself as one of the premier power hitters in the majors during his five-year stint with the Rockies, was traded for closer Huston Street, pitcher Greg Smith and outfielder Carlos Gonzalez in the offseason.

SHEETS REHABBING WITH RANGERS DOC (9:01 p.m. ET)
Ben Sheets still might have a future with the Rangers.

Sheets, who had surgery on his right elbow, is rehabbing in the Arlington offices of Rangers team doctor Keith Meister, according to several media outlets.

While general manager Jon Daniels said Texas might consider Sheets when he's healthy, he also said Sheets made the decision to work with Meister on his own.

"There's not a connection there," Daniels told MLB.com. "I think he lives in Dallas and our club is there. He could have chosen to rehab anywhere he wanted to."

WEAVER SEES FIRST ACTION (8:55 p.m. ET)
Angels starter Jered Weaver allowed four hits and a run in two-thirds of an inning in his spring training debut.

Weaver began throwing off a mound only 11 days ago and has been held out of Cactus League action because of soreness in his throwing shoulder.

With Ervin Santana dealing with elbow inflammation and unlikely to start the season on time and with the Angels waiting for Kelvim Escobar to return after missing all of 2008, Weaver's health is quite valuable to a team that already will enter the season with two starters out of action.

"He'll be ready for the start of the season," manager Mike Scioscia said after Los Angeles' 8-4 win over Cleveland. "He's on-pace if there are no setbacks. I thought he had really good stuff. The command needs to be a little crisper, but that's to be expected. We just need to get him out there a little more so he can fine-tune some things."

Weaver was happy with the feeling in his shoulder.

"I've been working my butt off trying to get [my shoulder] back in shape and it's felt good the last week and a half or so," he said. "They haven't found anything in there, so I'm happy about that."

WOOD DEBUTS WITH TRIBE (8:53 p.m. ET)
New Indians closer Kerry Wood worked a scoreless inning with a strikeout in relief in his first spring appearance.

Wood, who had 34 saves with the Cubs last season before signing a two-year deal with Cleveland, has been held back due to soreness in his lower back.

"It was good to see [Wood] get out there," manager Eric Wedge said after Cleveland's 8-4 loss to the Angels. "It was good for Victor [Martinez] to be back there catching him, too."

Wood agreed.

"It was nice to get a different uniform in the box," he said. "It always adds a new level of adrenaline."

MORROW STILL HURTING (8:50 p.m. ET)
Mariners right-hander Brandon Morrow continues to suffer from tightness in his pitching forearm and may have to postpone his next scheduled start.

The 24-year-old Morrow had a brief bullpen session Tuesday, but couldn't shake the pain in his pitching arm that has prevented him from appearing in a spring training game since March 1.

He was scheduled to pitch this past weekend, but was scratched after complaining of tightness in his pitching arm. The Mariners then hoped the inflammation would subside with rest and pushed Morrow's start back to Friday against the Cubs. But after his bullpen session today, the 24-year-old Morrow isn't certain he'll be ready by then.

The Mariners had hoped Morrow would secure a spot in their rotation this spring after they moved him from the bullpen to a starting role last summer. Now, they aren't certain where he'll wind up when the regular season begins April 6 at Minnesota.

CHAMBERLAIN STEPS IT UP (8:05 p.m. ET)
Joba Chamberlain was much better in his outing for the Yankees on Tuesday, allowing three hits and one earned run while striking out three and walking none in three innings of work.

Before the game, manager Joe Girardi had said he wanted to see more out of Chamberlain -- more command, in particular.

Facing the Cincinnati Reds, Chamberlain needed just 29 pitches to get through three innings, throwing 20 strikes, and his fastball velocity ticked up a couple of notches; the range of his fastball was 89-94. In his previous outing, Chamberlain had walked four of the five batters he faced. His line: Three innings, three hits, one earned run, no walks, three strikeouts.

"I'd be lying if I didn't say it's a sigh of relief just because there is a sense of urgency to get going," Chamberlain said. "We're less than a month away. You understand there is work to be done, but you also had to have that sense of urgency, also."

-- Buster Olney, ESPN The Magazine

MR. INTENSITY (4:11 p.m. ET)
The Arizona Diamondbacks have a day off Wednesday, and manager Bob Melvin plans to spend it mountain biking with his bench coach and good buddy, Kirk Gibson.

Gibson went biking with D-backs bullpen coach Glenn Sherlock earlier this week in Tucson and broke the chain on his bike.

"I don't think it was for lack of leg strength,'' Melvin said. "He's a bit of a grinder. Gibby doesn't lack intensity when it comes to anything. When he has his mind set on doing something, he's all out."

-- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com

CHAVEZ STARTING 'FROM SCRATCH' (3:33 p.m. ET)
Eric Chavez remains optimistic that he can play by Opening Day despite a setback in his shoulder rehabilitation.

The Athletics third baseman stopped baseball activities on Monday, a day after feeling right shoulder pain while swinging a bat.

"The big thing is getting pain-free and then kind of starting over slow," Chavez said Tuesday. "Take five swings. How does that feel? Take 10 throws. How does that feel? We have to start from scratch a little bit."

Chavez may try to hit or throw Thursday or Friday. He doesn't expect to play in a game for a while, not even as a designated hitter.

"I'm going to refrain from setting dates, but I'm going to try to recover as fast as I can and get back on the field as soon as I can, but meanwhile trying to get the shoulder healthy," he said.

PICKING THEIR SPOTS (3:23 p.m. ET)
Los Angeles Dodgers catcher Russell Martin is about to return from the World Baseball Classic, where Team Canada was eliminated by Italy on Monday.

In Martin's absence, veteran Brad Ausmus and 2003 draft pick A.J. Ellis have been logging the bulk of the time behind the plate. They had better enjoy the at-bats while they can, given that Martin has started 145 and 149 games the past two seasons, respectively.

Ausmus, who signed a one-year deal with the Dodgers over the winter, joked that the backup catching gig in Los Angeles is the easiest job in baseball.

"Or maybe the second easiest -- behind head groundskeeper in San Diego," Ausmus said.

-- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com

UEHARA TO MISS NEXT START (2:40 p.m. ET)
Baltimore Orioles pitcher Koji Uehara was expected to miss his next scheduled start after straining his left hamstring during Monday's game against the New York Mets.

Uehara, the first Japanese pitcher signed by the Orioles, apparently got hurt while covering first base. He was scheduled to go four innings, but came out after two.

"He probably will be backed up from the next time he pitches by two or three days," manager Dave Trembley said Tuesday. "I think instead of him pitching on five days' rest, it probably will be seven."

The injury is not believed to be serious.

Uehara received treatment on his left leg in the trainer's room Tuesday at Fort Lauderdale Stadium while the Orioles traveled to Fort Myers to play the Boston Red Sox.

NATIONALS TRIM ROSTER TO 58 (11:36 a.m. ET)
The Washington Nationals optioned left-hander Mike O'Connor to Triple-A Syracuse and left-hander Ross Detwiler to Double-A Harrisburg on Tuesday in their first round of spring training cuts.

O'Connor was 1-1 with a 13.00 ERA in five games, including one start, for Washington in 2008. Detwiler, who was 8-8 in 26 starts with Class A Potomac last year, was the Nationals' first-round draft pick in 2007 out of Missouri State.

The Nationals also reassigned eight players to their minor league camp: left-hander Justin Jones; right-handers Bobby Brownlie, Preston Larrison and J.D. Martin; catcher Javier Herrera; first basemen Chris Marrero and Matt Whitney; and outfielder Destin Hood.

The moves leave Washington with 58 players in camp.

JONES APOLOGIZES TO DODGERS FOR 2008 (9:23 a.m. ET)
Calling last year "the worst year of my life, by far," Andruw Jones offered an apology on Monday for his disastrous 2008 season with the Los Angeles Dodgers, the Los Angeles Times reported.

"I am sorry I didn't stand up to my reputation," he said, according to the Times. "I am sorry for what I put everyone through. I am sorry I did not make it work."

Jones, now with the Texas Rangers, is looking happier and fitter than last season, when he showed up at spring training overweight, batted a career-worst .158 with three home runs, was booed by Dodgers fans and left the team before the end of the season.

"I said I didn't care, but I heard them, and it wasn't any fun," Jones said of the booing, according to the Times. "I've never known a home player to be booed like that."

This year, things are starting off better. And Monday, after Jones homered off Claudio Vargas, Dodgers manager Joe Torre said he was glad Jones had turned things around.

"I'm happy for him," Torre said, according to the Times. "I hurt for him last year. He is certainly a lot better guy than he was portrayed to be."

VOTE FOR PEDRO? (8:54 a.m ET)
New York Mets manager Jerry Manuel is playing down speculation that the team will bring back Pedro Martinez as a fifth starter, saying the team is sticking with the pitchers it has in camp.

"Pedro is a Hall of Fame pitcher and one of the greatest pitchers of our time, but I feel very confident in the people we have in camp that [they] can get the job done," Manuel said. "Do you like Pedro? Of course, you love Pedro. But you have to be fair to the people that we have here."

According to ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney, a baseball source said there was "not a chance" the Mets will sign Martinez. The source said that the reasoning is not financial, but based on concerns about Martinez's pitching command.

Martinez, 37, who is pitching for the Dominican Republic in the World Baseball Classic, said Monday that he'd be interested in rejoining the Mets, but that he's not going to beg them for a job, according to the New York Daily News. Martinez went 5-6 with a 5.61 ERA in 20 starts last season.

The Mets are currently auditioning Livan Hernandez, Tim Redding, Freddy Garcia and Jonathon Niese for the No. 5 starting slot in the rotation.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Comments

You must be signed in to post a comment

Already have an account?