<
>

LIVE Transfer Talk: Napoli join Manchester United in race to sign Pau Torres

play
Do Villarreal stand a chance vs. Manchester United in the final? (1:59)

The ESPN FC panel preview the upcoming Europa League final between Villarreal and Manchester United. (1:59)

The January transfer window might seem like a distant memory, but that doesn't mean the rumour mill has shut down! Speculation over summer moves is heating up, so check out the latest gossip below, and see all official deals here.

TOP STORY: Man United face battle with Napoli for Torres

Napoli could be set to battle Manchester United for the signing of Pau Torres from Villarreal, reports Gazzetta dello Sport.

The Italian newspaper reports Napoli have been tracking the centre-back for some time and that he could be available for around €30 million.

The 24-year-old has been inspirational for Villarreal this season and has been an integral part of the club's run to the Europa League final, which takes place in Gdansk on May 26. Villarreal face Manchester United, who are also keen to land the defender. Though United's interest could hinge on whether they can tempt Raphael Varane to move to Manchester from Real Madrid.

Napoli are preparing for life after Kalidou Koulibaly, who is widely expected to leave the club this summer, and Torres -- with all of his experience -- would be the ideal replacement.

Real Madrid are another club rumoured to be interested in landing Torres, who has scored three goals and added two assists in 41 appearances in all competitions this term, as they seek a long-term replacement for Sergio Ramos.

- Stream ESPN FC Daily on ESPN+ (U.S. only)
- ESPN+ viewers guide: Bundesliga, Serie A, MLS, FA Cup and more

LIVE BLOG

10.19 BST: AC Milan squandered the chance to secure a long-awaited return to the Champions League in a 0-0 Serie A draw at home to Cagliari on Sunday, but it may make no difference over the future of midfielder Hakan Calhanoglu.

Calhanoglu, 27, has a contract which expires this summer and has yet to reach an agreement to stay.

"I am very happy that we reached this point. We're fired up and want to book our spot in the Champions League," Calhanoglu told Sky Sport Italia before the Cagliari match. "I always said that I wanted to get into the Champions League with Milan. However, my future does not depend on the Champions League. I am very happy to be here playing for Milan. At the end of the season, I will sit down with Paolo Maldini and Ricky Massara to discuss my future. They are the ones in charge and I respect them."

10.07 BST: Lille have conceded only 22 league goals so far in 2020-21 and part of that is down to the impressive Sven Botman.

Botman, 21, has been linked with Tottenham and Liverpool since joining from Ajax for €8m last July but told The Athletic that he's happy at Lille for now.

"It is a good compliment when you hear these clubs are interested," he said. "I'm lying if I say it's not interesting me -- it's the first time such big clubs are linked to me -- but it was early days, because in January I was only at Lille for half a season. It was nice to hear but I was focusing on Lille and I'm still doing this. After the season, I will enjoy a vacation and see what happens next.

"If I'm honest, the Premier League is one of the leagues I dreamed about... but also Serie A, La Liga, the Bundesliga. The Premier League is something special. It's the football I really like and that fits me."

Another Lille star to be attracting attention is 22-year-old midfielder Boubakary Soumare. Leicester City are reportedly leading the race for him and teammate Botman has been impressed too.

"If I'm honest, I think Soumare is one of the most talented players I have ever played with," Botman said. "He is similar to Ryan Gravenberch at Ajax but Soumare is more physical and has a lot of quality. I'm sure he is going to be a really top player. I can imagine some clubs, like Leicester or others in the Premier League, are interested. All credit to him, because he is having an amazing season."

09.25 BST: Thomas Tuchel's Chelsea are starting to fall apart with the Premier League top-four race still on and Champions League final ahead, writes Mark Ogden.

Tuchel has been able to get more consistency from expensive summer signings Timo Werner and Kai Havertz than Lampard, but neither Germany forward has been anything close to prolific. Havertz, who did not start against Leicester, has scored only three goals -- against mid-table Palace and relegated Fulham -- in 19 games under Tuchel, while Werner has been even less productive, with three goals in 21 games. The former PSG boss has overseen an improvement in Christian Pulisic's form, but the American rarely starts the biggest games. As for Mason Mount, arguably Chelsea's player of the season, Tuchel said after the Wembley defeat that the young England midfielder needed a break to revitalise himself after 61 appearances for club and country this season.

Defensively, Chelsea remain strong, with Antonio Rudiger making a big difference to the team's solidity since being restored to the team by Tuchel after being consistently overlooked by Lampard. But Tuchel's tinkering in goal has proved costly. Kepa Arrizabalaga played in the defeats against Leicester and Arsenal as Tuchel rested Edouard Mendy, who has been outstanding since arriving from Rennes last summer. Mendy will return against Leicester, but the damage to Chelsea's confidence has already been done.

08.44 BST: Real Madrid are considering Massimiliano Allegri and club legend Raul to replace Zinedine Zidane if the French coach decides to leave at the end of the season, sources have told ESPN's Rodrigo Faez and Alex Kirkland.

Allegri, out of a job since leaving Juventus in 2019, and Raul, currently in charge of Madrid's B team, Castilla, are the best-placed candidates, but not the only names on the shortlist.

Zidane -- who already quit the Madrid job once in 2018 -- has persistently refused to confirm that he'll see out his contract, which runs until 2022.

"There are moments when you have to stay, and others when you have to go," he hinted in a cryptic news conference on Saturday.

08.30 BST: Cristiano Ronaldo has no plans of returning to play in Portugal in the near future, according to his agent Jorge Mendes.

After Ronaldo's mother, Dolores Aveiro, told Sporting CP supporters she will try to convince her son to return to his boyhood club this summer, reports in Portugal and Spain claim the Juventus forward could return to where he began his sporting career.

Sporting won the league title for the first time in 19 years last week and Ronaldo, 36, congratulated his former club on the feat. With Juve having yet to guarantee Champions League football next season, rumours circulated that Ronaldo, who has one year left on his contract with the Turin giants, could join Sporting.

"Cristiano is proud of the title achieved by Sporting as he has expressed publicly," Mendes told Record. "But for the time being, his career plans are not in Portugal."

play
1:11

Would Barcelona be top of La Liga with Luis Suarez?

Julien Laurens believes Barcelona never replaced the production they lost when they pushed Luis Suarez out the door.

PAPER GOSSIP (by Nick Judd)

- Luis Suarez has told Club del Deportista that he'd like to "have the experience" of playing in Major League Soccer before he hangs up his boots. The Uruguay international admits that he is fully focused on Atletico Madrid for now, and that he believes he has more seasons left in him at the highest level, but that an offer from America would be an enticing one. Suarez, 34, has scored 20 goals in 31 league games, including Sunday's dramatic winner against Osasuna as Atletico stayed two points ahead of rivals Real Madrid in La Liga's title race with just one game to go.

- Barcelona are considering a move for Real Valladolid youngster Ivan San Jose. Sport reports Barca have been impressed by San Jose's energy and goals from a deeper position while playing for Valladolid's youth team, with the 17-year-old grabbing his latest goal against Atletico Madrid's academy on Saturday.

- Marseille are looking to replace 36-year-old goalkeeper Steve Mandanda with Alexander Nubel from Bayern Munich, according to Sport 1. Nubel, 24, is desperate for more playing time and, while Bayern board member Oliver Kahn is keen to see the keeper stay at Bayern next season, Nubel reportedly wants to be a No. 1 -- something he knows he won't get by staying behind Manuel Neuer in Bavaria.

- Borussia Dortmund are adamant that striker Erling Haaland will stay another season, sporting director Michael Zorc has said in an interview with Sky Sports Germany. The claim followed Dortmund's victory over Mainz, which sees the club secure Champions League football next season. Haaland is a target for a number of top clubs including Barcelona, Real Madrid and Manchester City, but he is contracted until 2024.

- AC Milan are looking to keep forward Brahim Diaz beyond the end of the season, Milan director of football Frederic Massara has told Sky Sports. The 21-year-old has been on loan in Italy from Real Madrid this season, and though no option to sign him permanently was included in the deal, the Rossoneri are keen to extend Diaz's stay.